RE: Resources updates in Lang Decl BP doc

At 19:56 06/07/04, Richard Ishida wrote:
>[Copying in Core]
>
>Ok, I made changes to the page based on your comments below.  Thanks.
>
>There will be a major edit to the page when the specs are finally published.
>
>I don't always notice when these documents change.  Given your involvement
>in this stuff, could I ask you to send a note to www-international each time
>there is something to report?
>
>Btw, I'm still unclear about some aspects of the scope of the label BCP 47.
>As I understand it, it will refer to both the 'tags' and 'matching'
>documents.

correct.

>I have one or two questions about that:

(turned out to be quite a few more questions than that)

>1. Does it refer to those specs right now - presumably it doesn't refer to
>RFC 3066bis yet? Currently ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp47.txt points
>to RFC 3066.

correct.

>2. Where is it defined what BCP 47 represents.

The most 'official' definition is probably
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html#BCPbyBCP. But this only
reflects the status after publication.

>3. Can we be sure that someone is planning to update the link to BCP 47

For that one, sure, that's part of the RFC Editor's job.

>4. What will the link to BCP 47 point to, given that there are two documents
>and it can't point directly to both at the same time?

Difficult to guess. As an example, I note that
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcxx00.html#BCPbyBCP lists RFCs 4288 and RFC 4289
as BCP 13, but ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/bcp/bcp13.txt links to the former
only.

>5. I'm assuming that BCP 47 will refer to both the 'tags' and 'matching'
>documents, and that these documents will have different RFC numbers.  Is
>that correct?

Yes.

>6. Is there a precedent for one BCP to refer to more than one RFC?

Yes, see above.

>7. Or is there a possibility of the two documents being combined into one?

No way, at least not this time round.

>8. What about the draft that outlines the initial registry, presumably that
>won't be part of BCP 47?

Yes. It will be published as a shell (only a note that the contents has
been moved to the subtag registry) in order not to cause confusion
(people looking at that RFC rather than the registry).

>9. Should W3C specs say they conform to BCP 47 and reference BCP 47 with the
>above URI, even if they happen to be specifically interested in just one of
>the two documents in question, or should they reference the specific
>document.

The advantage for using "BCP 47" is less that you get two documents
for one, but that it will get updated when there is a newer version.

Regards,    Martin.