[ESW Wiki] Update of "geoEncoding" by DavidClarke

From: <w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 07:55:01 -0000
To: w3t-archive+esw-wiki@w3.org
Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "ESW Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by DavidClarke:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/geoEncoding

The comment on the change is:
Added comparison images

  Internally, computers store characters as numeric codes. The relationship between these numbers and the characters they represent is the character encoding.

  == Why does this cause problems? ==
- When different computer systems use different character encodings it is oftne produces an unreadable result. [[DRC I think I should have a graphic here illustrating the result e.g. A little Japanese encoded as UTF-8 but displayed as iso2022-jp]]
+ When different computer systems use different character encodings it is often produces an unreadable result. For example :
+ http://www.dragonthoughts.com/w3/hiraganautf8asiso8859-1.gif should appear as http://www.dragonthoughts.com/w3/hiraganautf8.gif

  == Why should I care? ==
  If other people need to read your content, then the character encoding settings must be compatible, of the recipients can't read it.