RE: Please read new articles before Wednesday

Thanks for these comments.  Responses below...

============
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://people.w3.org/rishida/blog/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/

yes

> - "Across separate display areas. One common problem is
> caused where omposite message" should be "across separate
> display areas. One common problem is caused where composite message"

fixed

> - "XXX GET A GERMAN EXAMPLE": How about:
> "[jederzeit, innerhalb von drei Monaten, innerhalb von sechs
> Monaten, innerhalb einen Jahres] veraenderte Webseiten abrufen"
> and
> "Zeitabschnitt fuer abgerufene Webseiten: [jederzeit,
> innerhalb von drei Monaten, innerhalb von sechs Monaten,
> innerhalb einen Jahres]"

thanks. used.

> - Subject-predicate arrangements versus Sentence-like
> arrangements: are there approaches which combine both? Like
> having as a pair
>  1) "The stacker has been disabled." and
>  2) "stacker, disabled". (a list of the concepts involved,
> *not* the words to express them) The person who produces the
> original text, e.g. 1), also would have to produce 2). A
> translator sees only 2), and has to create 3):
>  3) "(Some translation of 2))"
> 2) then should also contain the necessary variables.
> Wouldn't such an approach solve many problems?

I can't really say I understand your proposal at all.

> A comment on http://www.w3.org/International/articles/text-reuse/ :
>
> - As for terms, you give the "reset" example which cannot be
> reused easily. I am wondering if this problem is not a
> problem of "reset", but of the target language Dutch which
> has two expressions for general reset and system reset. In

exactly

> other words: it seems to me impossible to create a list of
> "save" terms, without knowing the target language(s). Imagine
> the famous example of "snow": A translation from English into
> German encompassing "snow" would have no problem, but if an
> Eskimo language is the target language, you would get into trouble ...

true

That's why the text in that para says "This illustrates the usefulness to have the localization group review the strings you propose to reuse, since it would be difficult for a developer who doesn't speak the language to spot this."