Re: New Tutorial: Ruby

Hi Richard,

Here are some more comments - on the "css3  international text" tutorial.

- General: You might add a short note somewhere on how the CSS efforts
are related to SVG or XSL-FO, because the unexperienced user might
wander which one to use for what purpose.
- "Key parameters here are the block-progression direction" -> "Key
properties here are the block-progression direction"
- "glyph-orientation-vertical and glyph-orientation-horizontal
properties can be used to control whether the Latin letters in vertical
Japanese": Can these properties only be used for Japanese, or are there
other - possibly useful - applications?
- "On this slide we see the effect of applying one type of grid layout
to the text on the previous slide.": Which type?
- "boten marks": the Japanese writing says 傍点(ぼうてん)、I don't
know if you want to express this as "bouten" or "bo¯ten".
- "For example, the specification says that it is common to place pinyin
annotations ..." You should introduce pinyin shortly, i.e. "pinyin
annotations (Chinese pronunciation annotations) ...".
- I'm still not sure about the 浮世絵昔話example. Here are some numbers
of Google-hits:
浮世絵227.000
昔話838.000
浮世絵 昔話974
"浮世絵昔話"0
The combination of the two words seems to be really uncommen, so maybe
you think about another example, especially the Japanese audiance might
be confused about 浮世絵昔話. How about. 浮世絵 版画 (うきよえ はんが
ukiyoe hanga), that's "art print of ukiyoe".
- "A significant amount of specification work benefitted from the
Japanese JIS 4051 specification": You might add s.t. like "which is a
Japanese standard for styling properties of Japanese text"

That's it.

Best regards, Felix.