W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > March 2005

Minutes 2005-03-16: GEO telecon

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:12:10 -0000
To: "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Message-Id: <20050317171210.93DA84F008@homer.w3.org>

Minutes 2005-03-16: GEO telecon, at 17:00 UTC/GMT, 10:00 Seattle, 13:00 Boston, 18:00 London, 19:00 Paris, 03:00 Melbourne


ATTENDEES
Deborah Cawkwell (BBC, Scribe)
Andrew Cunningham (State Library of Victoria)
Richard Ishida (W3C, Chair)
Susan Miller (Boeing)


NEW ACTIONS
RI, Update plan/pipeline document with different structure.
All, Read FTF minutes
RI, Talk to JY re Global Gateway
DC, Unicode upgrade - circulate before next meeting
SM, Getting started - circulate draft by 30 March
DC, Discount usability: set up WIKI page with user profiles & task scenarios drawing from discussions at FTF meeting
SM, Feedback at bottom of FAQ, eg, "Do you have a topic for an FAQ?" (analogy with news stories). User more likely to engage with it on a FAQ representing information they have actively sought. Elaborate in email to list
DC, Vote widget on FAQ page: "How useful did you find this page?" or "Did this FAQ answer your question?" Elaborate in email to list


INFO SHARE
RI: hoping to upload first of new-look tutorials this evening at 
http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/ [Now Done]
RI: paper for Unicode conference 
RI: presentation for www conference 2005, Japan in W3C track re i18n activity. 
Other GEO attendees: hopefully DC, AC problems with travelling, probably SM.


REVIEW OF GEO WORK ITEMS
Work process:
- Agreement at FTF to be more timely in delivery - 'hold toes to fire'! 
- Agenda will contain what will be done at the meeting & what needs to be prepared for the meeting in 2 week's time. RI to capture new way of working with deliverables agreed below to plan/pipeline document.
- Effective meeting review: feedback via email on review material as soon as possible (even if comments are minimal), rather than relying on meeting time discussion; acceptable not to encompass all comments in one email - so don't wait until you've addressed every last part.
- When producing FAQs, agreed that it's valid to submit a draft with pertinent questions, rather than all the answers.
- Use of mailing lists: view them as a resource for solutions not just questions. This has benefits in terms of time, where resources are limited, encouragement to others, who may then feel more confident about asking questions.
- Good experience of using IG list: DC question re converting legacy data to Unicode: valuable, expert answers, which are useful in themselves & demonstrate the benefits of the WG time out from the office to colleagues/managers.
- Reminder of mailing lists available: we have 3 lists: IG (almost 400 people), public (most of our business), member. See GEO home page: http://www.w3.org/International/geo/.
- ACTION all: read FTF minutes

Language Techniques 
- RI: Rework styling of resource boxes and add link to external resources document (http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/resources/#ri20030510.102829377)
- Bring test results up-to-date.
FAQ: Global gateway - JY
- RI to discuss with JY  
- for discussion next week 
- Review: sign-off for wide review: following week
FAQ: Unicode upgrade - DC
- Split considerations & benefits as suggested by RI.
- OS/UA info from RI to be incorporated.
- Circulate to public list this week before next meeting
Getting started - SM
- 1st draft deadline: 30 March
- Meeting review should be after circulation with some time for review.
Use of link element - AC  
- Circulation for public list review next week before next meeting 
- 2 weeks time: 1st review of AC link element article



DISCUSSIONS

SITE REDESIGN 
RI will present GEO work to W3C team (31 March) 

GEO home page (http://www.w3.org/International/) shows some new features:
- left-hand side expanding/contracting navigation
- translation icon, which may not be perfect yet 
3 different types of pages 
- home, which is desirable to stand out from other pages 
- information: FAQs, article, etc (all not yet changed), eg, http://www.w3.org/International/about.html#mission
- scan (all changed)
Scan pages: new top navigation: Home  About  Groups  Topics  Techniques  Resources  News

- Does this meet user's needs? 
- In place now as quick fix 
Next port of call, talk to Shawn (WAI) again. Swap notes on lessons she's learned (from year-long page design for WAI). Will discuss:
- site architecture, making WAI & GEO as close as possible
- then will discuss actual styling, where the look & feel could be very different 
- information architecture & presentation styling 

Usability
- Desirable to ensure we are heading in the right direction 

Task scenario testing
- Discount usability: agreement that WIKI page should set up with user profiles & task scenarios drawing from discussions at FTF meeting - ACTION DC
- Task scenarios should consider what the user aims to find & what would be desirable that the user finds in addition.
- 1st thing for WIKI: list of people who are target populations (building on work from FTF).
- Contributions from other team members welcome, especially SM, given expertise in user-centred design.

Task scenario example:
- user profile: experienced web developer with no experience of i18n issues
- user goal: find information about language tag syntax
- additional GEO goal: understand distinction in language of content between text-processing language & primary language

Exploratory learning concept
- Finding information without knowing what you were looking for.
Audience: 
- How does this relate to 'Getting started' material? 
- Can we not put scenarios into place until we have that sort of entry point? 
- User 'arrives' at GEO site, is the info there & can it be found? 
- Who are you & why are you coming here? what are your expectations?

Questionnaire
- Different/separate piece of work to user profiles & task scenarios. 
- Publically visible, therefore would need to be very tight 
- Different set of questions, cf, FTF minutes 

Alternative ideas for user feedback:
- Feedback at bottom of FAQ, eg, "Do you have a topic for an FAQ?" (analogy with news stories). User more likely to engage with it on a FAQ representing information they have actively sought. Elaborate in email to list - ACTION SM
- Did this at one point on GEO, 4/5 people submitted in questions, half/half useful & weird, but used FAQ list.
- Vote widget on FAQ page: "How useful did you find this page?" or "Did this FAQ answer your question?" Elaborate in email to list - ACTION DC
ACTION DC go through FTF minutes & pull out what useful  
could send out I18N request to IG 
as part of this DC to suggest when can be put on GEO agenda 



http://www.bbc.co.uk/

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain
personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. 
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received. 
Further communication will signify your consent to this.
Received on Thursday, 17 March 2005 17:12:11 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:39 GMT