W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > March 2005

Minutes 2005-02-09: GEO FTF: 2005-03-04

From: Deborah Cawkwell <deborah.cawkwell@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:01:56 -0000
Message-ID: <418B7E44473AC34488C9E730D09FF3CF05179093@bbcxue204.national.core.bbc.co.uk>
To: <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Minutes 2005-02-09: GEO FTF: 2005-03-04
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Scribe: Deborah Cawkwell
Times are in GMT/UTC
Attendees: Richard Ishida (Chair I18N GEO), Deborah Cawkwell (BBC World Service), Martin Duerst (W3C I18N activity lead), Susan K Miller (Boeing), Russ Rolfe (Microsoft), Felix Sasaki (W3C)
Attending via IRC: Andrew Cunningham
Regrets: none

Session Start: Fri Mar 04 14:08:58 2005
Session Ident: #i18n
[14:10] * deborah has joined #i18n
[14:12] * Susan has joined #i18n
[14:15] * russ has joined #i18n
[14:15]  DAY 2

[14:16]  GEO SITE USER SCENARIOS
[14:16]  GEO site user scenarios identify user scenarios for GEO site including different levels 
[14:16]  cf Susan's getting started.
[14:16]  Usability 
[14:16]  Who is using the site?
[14:16]  What info ar ethey interested in?
[14:17]  Scenario = task-based analysis - Observation of users? 
[14:17]  how?
[14:17] * Najib has joined #i18N
[14:19]  identification of tasks
[14:19]  personas
[14:23]  Leslie Fountain has done usability testing 
[14:24]  But not deeper testing
[14:24]  But do we have time
[14:25]  With surveys we can ask people what they want
[14:25]  which would save time re identifying the tasks
[14:26]  The big question: how formally?
[14:26]  WAI team done it very formally
[14:26]  taken over a year 
[14:26]  but useful to think about who we are aiming at
[14:27]  can we get feedback from developers within our organisations
[14:27]  we could derive a number of tasks for people
[14:27]  usability experts says you can use as few as 8 people
[14:29]  can people find the stuff
[14:30]  1) audience - people we're trying to get stuff too
[14:30]  2) can they find it
[14:30]  what material should we be developing & how do we get that material to people?
[14:31]  material not always via website 
[14:31]  sometimes via outreach such as Richard's presentations
[14:31] * Susan has quit IRC (Quit: CGI:IRC (EOF))
[14:32] <AndrewC> to my way of thinking, the website would tend to be a resource for developers looking for solutions
[14:32] <deborah> as opposed to?
[14:33] <AndrewC> its also a resource for tutorials and traiining ideas ... ofr instance
[14:33] <AndrewC> locally, i'll need to develop a trraining program teaching web dev skills to community organisations
[14:33] <AndrewC> it will need to incorporate and focus on design of Arabic web pages
[14:34] <r12a> andrew, we were saying that the types of people are probably in this list http://esw.w3.org/topic/geogoals

[14:34] <r12a> would be good to refine that list
[14:35] <AndrewC> i'd probbaly add educators/trainers to the list as well, although not usre if its a target group we've reached yet
[14:35] * Susan has joined #i18n
[14:36] <Susan> http://www.stcsig.org/usability/topics/articles/ucd%20_web_devel.html#2-know-users

[14:39] * matthieu has joined #i18n
[14:40]  Thinking about users in terms of the people we work with 
[14:40]  Najib uses material for his students
[14:42]  HTML tutorial by Dave Raggett - good example
[14:42]  Najib emphasis on need for tutorials 
[14:42]  for beginners
[14:43]  needs to be easier to understand
[14:44]  how do students who access the site use the information?
[14:45]  for required courses
[14:45] <r12a> najib, uses printed form
[14:45] <AndrewC> translated tutorials
[14:46]  do the students use the site themselves
[14:46]  or does Najib give them the info?
[14:48]  requirement for printing
[14:48]  Russ
[14:48]  2 types of people
[14:48]  developers creating tools using W3C technologies
[14:48]  eg IE
[14:49]  they would be looking for information to better understand the standards
[14:49]  doesn't think we've really addressed them
[14:50]  2nd type using web to put content & services out
[14:50]  if someone is looking for something & can't find it they come & ask Russ
[14:50]  about 80% character encodings
[14:51]  should I use NCRs?
[14:51]  I need to deal with a locale
[14:51]  I need to deal with a time
[14:51]  How do I go from web page to database
[14:51]  using forms to gather information
[14:52]  number formatting
[14:52]  from W3C point of view, there isn't currently a technology
[14:53]  since stuff exists on character encoding, why do they come to Russ?
[14:53]  they don't realise the site is there
[14:53]  they also might use Russ' internal MS site
[14:53]  then there is MS external site
[14:53]  these would be their 1st & 2nd ports of call
[14:53]  GEO maybe 3rd
[14:54]  tool builders need more focus: community we are not addressing
[14:54] * MJDuerst has joined #i18n
[14:55]  how do we publicise the availability of the resource
[14:55]  until we do the outreach, how can we get useful feedback
[14:55]  we are very close to it, so hard to judge its usability
[14:57]  Najib - one day seminar to explain i18n issues & gather questions
[14:57]  Susan
[14:58]  Getting started describes the people at Boeing
[14:58]  highly experienced content developers but who don't know about i18n
[14:59]  in getting started section
[14:59]  managers' information
[14:59]  not nec for direct access by them 
[14:59]  but for other people to use to feed them information
[15:00]  Boeing devs used W3C site for major accessibility site
[15:01]  Top 3 resources
[15:01]  Google, MSN Search, Yahoo
[15:02]  Use of search
[15:04]  With search return title needs to identify subject of article clearly
[15:05]  How do we push information up search return page list
[15:05]  Look for guidelines on search
[15:05]  what is missing: 
[15:06]  Russ said forms, time/date
[15:06]  how tos
[15:07]  when does explanation get out of scope, eg, when is it about the technology?
[15:07]  when should site point off?
[15:07]  to MS Global Dev
[15:09] deborah
[15:09] need clear how to's with no jargon
[15:10] want to know how to do things, eg. about language tags & how use
[15:10] need explanations, eg. encodings
[15:10] manager oriented explanations are also important
[15:12] deborah points people to site to convinve them to do things, or that things can be done
[15:12]  quick overview - why this is important
[15:13]  people might take overview to managers to explain 
[15:13]  what are the issues we have?
[15:14] what are the major barriers when using the site?
[15:14] susan: no clear path through for unexperienced users
[15:14] deborah: can't find things
[15:14] classifying things by resource type isn't helpful
[15:16] task: how do I localise/i18n my site?
[15:18] Susan would have a straight-forward list of how to i18n your site with clear steps
[15:19] <r12a> "how do i internationalize my site?"
[15:19]  whole answers do not lie within W3C? ie in relation to tools
[15:20]  conflict of what is sought & what we are offering
[15:21]  in topic index, not clear how subjects fit together
[15:21]  no overview
[15:22]  what happens if you click on Technique index?
[15:26]  too many lists
[15:26]  cf O'Reilly cookbook
[15:28]  what order should I do things in?
[15:28]  before I round the corners, how do I build the box?
[15:34]  Getting Started could be a start point - might offer lessons that could be applied to the whole site / GEO material
[15:34] <Najib> What about I18N in 7 points? (or 18)
[15:34]  How does Russ develop the MS Global Dev site?
[15:34]  4 people providing content
[15:35]  a lot of content came from a book they wrote
[15:36]  11000 page book involved 46 people
[15:36]  Russ edited
[15:39]  ingrediants: W3C spec
[15:40]  cake: specific task
[15:40]  meal: complete product
[15:40]  meal analogy
[15:41]  ACTION: All, keep thinking about this... & email with other thoughts
[15:42]  [coffee]
[15:47] * Najib has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[16:02]  Russ & Deborah: gather more info about text direction, UA behaviour, scrollbar position, etc

SITE REDESIGN
[16:03] <r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/2005/02/i18n-redesign/home.png

[16:04]  Talked about identifying the user of our information
[16:04]  Important: Getting Started, searching
[16:05]  We feel we need not only a topic & technique index
[16:05]  In addition: what do I need to do to i18n?
[16:07]  Resource types list on i18n list is not useful.
[16:08]  Shawn Henry joined the group
[16:08]  from WAI - talks about WAI site-redesign experience
[16:08]  primary goal was making site itself accessible
[16:08]  had prof usability help from AIR
[16:10]  Shawn describes herself as one of our users
[16:10]  wants to be able to access the information quickly & easily 
[16:11] * Najib has joined #i18N
[16:12] <r12a> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ut2/

[16:13]  most of what WAI does, has very concrete basis
[16:13]  nav on left with base info
[16:13]  people weren't finding other documents
[16:13]  lot of links into the site
[16:14]  nav needs to be there to clearly show what is avail across the whole WAI site
[16:14]  tried expanding, collapsing menu
[16:14]  on current WAI site 
[16:14]  have page: WAI resources
[16:15]  horribly organised 
[16:15]  but people liked annotated text
[16:15]  in new site using a lot of annotated navigation
[16:15]  wanted to encourage exploration
[16:16]  WAI home page
[16:16]  problem: people don't know what WAI does
[16:16]  think it's closed, US-based
[16:16]  detrimental to goals
[16:16]  wanted to clarify upfront
[16:16]  wanted it to be easy to see
[16:17]  but easy to mask out once you've seen i9t
[16:17]  if you are frequent user
[16:17]  this is why what wai is is on the right-hand side
[16:17]  as opposed to in the top middle
[16:17]  also wanted to get announcements at top
[16:18]  Distinction between Announcements & Highlights
[16:18]  Announcements is 'timely'
[16:20]  Nav on GEO site always in same place
[16:21]  for WAI in-page nav can be in a different place (is always?)
[16:26]  for WAI re-design, focus on WAI issues
[16:26]  did also talk about i18n re-design
[16:27]  i18n & WAI are probably closest in terms of how website is used
[16:27]  concerned if some fundamental stuff different, eg GEO site navigation
[16:28]  WAI site seen as v hierarchically ordered by RI
[16:28]  So much stuff in i18n site, cannot be presented like this
[16:29]  using indices to get to the same information 
[16:30]  http://www.w3.org/International/2005/02/i18n-redesign/home.png

[16:30] * shawn has joined #i18n
[16:30]  new design shown - GEO home page
[16:31]  desire for as much shortcut information above the fold as possible
[16:31]  feedback welcomed
[16:31]  but design by committee not seen as useful
[16:34]  would be useful to add a sitemap
[16:34]  doesn't think that will go down as far as documents
[16:35]  conceptual, rather than physical
[16:36]  expanding / collapsing navigation
[16:36]  not on every page
[16:36]  real estate required for other things
[16:36]  on home page, nav stuff on left & on right
[16:36]  so that it's clearly demarkated from other pages
[16:37]  expert nav on left
[16:38] <r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/2005/02/i18n-redesign/level2.png

[16:38]  trying to make a clear distinction between 3 types of page
[16:38]  use yoyo effect
[16:38]  home page functions as a hub
[16:39]  site map nav consistent with home page - on rhs
[16:40]  what's on this nav is what's opportune at this time...
[16:42]  for WAI redesign more intermediate pages created by  breaking up big pages of unrelated stuff
[16:42]  Rx feels good to scroll through long page
[16:42]  S: good usability test
[16:43] * Retrieving #i18n info...
[16:43]  usability testing on the fly
[16:44]  S: jumped to sub section (near bottom), then wanted to return to list
[16:44]  major up-scrolling
[16:44]  a back-to-the-top link would help
ACTION: RI, add back-to-the-top link to pages at headings
[16:45]  in re-design, pages broken up, longest page is quite short
[16:48]  Russ: site map is site content map
[16:49]  different to people's expectation of sitemap
[16:49]  not labelled as 'sitemap'
[16:49]  labelled 'on this site'
[16:50]  shouldn't be called a 'sitemap'
[16:52] <Najib> There is not a "recommendation" of what is sitemap.
[16:53]  talking about navigation: not clear how all GEO info connected
[16:53]  always just had a big box of recipes, rather than an overview
[16:53]  that must be added 
[16:54]  simple solution from Russ
[16:54]  know that trying to have as much info above the fold as possible
[16:55]  Horizontal nav for key anchor points of site
[16:55]  why right-aligned?
[16:56]  Russ argued for this nav info to be in lhs 
[16:56]  established paradigm 
ACTION: RI, in new style for site redesign, left align horizontal links below top hat that point to key site anchor points
[17:15] * Najib has quit IRC (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.61 [Mozilla rv:1.7.3/20040910])
[17:16] * MJDuerst has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[17:17]  [lunch]
 
[17:22] * Najib has joined #i18N
[17:27] * matthieu has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)
[17:31] * Najib has quit IRC (Connection reset by peer)
[18:17] * russ has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[18:38]  [Back from lunch]
[18:40]  how do i do that?
[18:42]  Use of Javascript
[18:42]  WAI will use on one page: sitemap
[18:44]  WAI changed a lot of stuff based on Rx's input
[18:45]  initial discussions, talked about 'abstract zoning'
[18:47]  Can i18n use same styling as WAI
[18:48]  attempt for WAI & i18n look to come closer
[18:48]  Susan Lesch from Communications team joined the meeting
[18:49]  translations in menu
[18:49]  if many, won't all fit
[18:49]  use a pull-down menu for this
[18:50]  in shortcuts, use of foreign language string to indicate a translation
[18:51]  needs more styling, to be more stylised
[18:51]  don't want to say 'we are (in) English & you guys are somewhere else'
[18:52]  translation graphic then text of page afterwards in brackets
ACTION: RI, when pointing to list of translations in new site design, add '(translations)' after a suitable graphic
[18:53]  WAI changed 'getting started' because usability testing showed it was interpreted as 'getting started with WAI'
 
QUESTIONNAIRES
[18:53]  intro of topic
[18:53]  some concnern don't know who is audience & whether we were serving their needs
[18:54]  easy obvious solution was to survey our audience
[18:54]  known that not popular 
[18:54]  but don't know another fast easy way to do it
[18:54]  though we did consider using lists
[18:54]  thought recognize that that would be a skewed auidence
[18:55]  Shawn: first reaction
[18:55]  great that looking for feedback from audience
[18:55]  how would it be presented
[18:56]  below nav: couple of bullets
[18:56]  questions 1-5
[18:56]  did you find what you were looking for?
[18:56]  how many have we ourselves seen AND filled out
[18:56]  questionnaire design in itself is quite challenging
[18:56]  questionnaires are self-reporting
[18:57]  its presence indicates that you're interested - sends a good message to users
[18:57]  could be added to articles too
[18:57]  interesting to
[18:58]  1) put on IG list
[18:58]  2) conference list
[18:58] * Najib has joined #i18N
[18:58]  where are the people we want to get who aren't coming hanging out
[18:59]  Shawn disclaimer: this is her opinion
[18:59]  3) related lists
[18:59]  not backed up with research
[19:00]  had one on Boeing site for a while
[19:00]  know that people don't like it, so didn't keep it on for too long
[19:01]  usability says people are bad at self-reporting
[19:01]  people know things are rong, but often can't express that
[19:02]  do we think we could get info could act on
[19:02]  but could find out more about who they are
[19:02]  would guess 90% of them are developers writing pages
[19:02]  who are you?
[19:02]  is there something you were looking forward that you didn't find?
[19:03]  what would you do with that data?
[19:03]  Sx would expect to get some confirmation of continuing or not in the same direction
[19:03]  worries about data for data's sake
[19:04]  eg Sx's work on Getting Started. If no neophytes, which could be confirmed by the survey, then this wouldn't be worth doing
[19:04]  but self-reporting issue
[19:05]  if 100% responses = experts, that doesn't entail all audience is expert
[19:05]  who were the WAI users
[19:05]  WAI doesn't have statistical numbers
[19:05]  most people who come don't know anything about it
[19:06]  based on informal number
[19:06]  how did WAI go about deciding who you were 
[19:06]  going to focus on 
[19:06]  WAI EO group is 20 active participants
[19:06]  some new, some long-standing
[19:07]  http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/

[19:08]  much more formal process than for most people
[19:08]  usability specialists on the group
[19:09]  http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/2003/analysis-sum#users

[19:12]  http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/2003/users#implications

[19:14]  People WAI want to attract are newbies
[19:15]  W3C newsletter to include questionnaire a few months from now
[19:15]  opportunity to reach a wide audience
[19:15]  also site comments
[19:15]  3/4 per week
[19:17] * MJDuerst has joined #i18n
[19:17]  WAI stuff buried in TR pages
[19:18]  gems that WAI have people can't find
[19:18]  very useful meeting, but lots more work for Rx
[19:18]  logo
[19:19]  6 minutes left before Rx must leave for another meeting
[19:21]  could there be a logo
[19:21]  could i18n requirements be included in the tool
[19:21]  would have to have very clear evaluations
[19:21]  WAI has these
[19:22]  self-reporting
[19:22]  people tend to over-state by 1 1/2
[19:22]  clarification: inclusion in validation tool, cf HTML, CSS
[19:23]  value of logo a mark of interest & support for i18n
[19:23]  could link to i18n site
[19:23]  means of promotion
[19:26]  [break]
NAJIB PRESENTS ON TRANSLATION ISSUES
[21:12]  NT presentation re issues for translation, etc.
DISCUSSION OF GLOBAL GATEWAY PULL-DOWN MENUS
[19:29]  Review of John Yunker's article - see wiki versions for minutes of discussion
[19:40]  Global Gateway Pull-downs
[19:49] * Najib has quit IRC (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.61 [Mozilla rv:1.7.3/20040910])
[21:22]  work on WIKI - http://esw.w3.org/topic/geoFaq1  - see wiki versions for minutes of discussion
[21:23] * Najib has joined #i18N
[21:29] * AndrewC has left #i18n
[21:30] * apphillips has joined #i18n
[21:39] * Susan has quit IRC (Quit: CGI:IRC (EOF))
[21:56] * Najib has quit IRC (Client exited)
[22:00] * Najib has joined #i18N
[22:05] * MJDuerst has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[22:07] * Najib has quit IRC (Quit: ChatZilla 0.9.61 [Mozilla rv:1.7.3/20040910])
[22:18] * deborah has left #i18n
[22:21] * MJDuerst has joined #i18n
[Meeting ends]

ACTIONS
ACTION: All, keep thinking about this [meal analogy to documentation - see above for explanation in discussion]... & email with other thoughts
ACTION: RI, add back-to-the-top link to pages at headings
ACTION: RI, in new style for site redesign, left align horizontal links below top hat that point to key site anchor 
ACTION: RI, when pointing to list of translations in new site design, add '(translations)' after a suitable graphic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/


This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain
personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. 
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received. 
Further communication will signify your consent to this.
Received on Wednesday, 16 March 2005 18:02:03 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:39 GMT