W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > March 2005

FW: FTF Agenda: Draft 1

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:54:13 -0000
To: "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Message-Id: <20050303145412.48E144EEFF@homer.w3.org>

Agenda & actions review

Info Share

-	bring your own contributions !

-	new techniques index http://localhost/International/technique-index

-	See http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html#meeting 
	* New article: Language tags in HTML and XML  - propose to publish!!
	* Language techniques: Proposal to publish another interim draft!! ; proposal to point to resource links, rather than include them; discussions on any points raised; 

-	Volunteers for spec reviews? http://www.w3.org/International/core/reviews.html (esp. ATAG)

-	proposal from RI to merge FAQ and Article lists into one





Review of GEO Work Items: 

-	http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html





Discussion 

DAY 1
AM
-	Team Photo

PM
-	Handing of resources in techniques docs - externalise or not?




-	Previous charter review Review of previous charter, what went well, what could have been done better - But should not spend too much time on it - Maybe identify sub-elements

-	Current charter review Set out road map of work for the new charter

-	progress on investigations into use of wiki to support comments on documents - see 
	an example at http://esw.w3.org/topic/geoFaq1


-	update on discussions about site improvements with Shawn Henry, WAI

-	FAQ and article production Discuss how we could improve the production of FAQs, etc - Tactics - Stumbling blocks, what holds us back - wiki?

-	Liaising with other i18n groups Clarify GEO liaison with the other I18N WGs & W3C activities - Good to discuss with core group how we interact with them, eg work on language attributes - We are sometimes having to find solutions to problems people hadn't understood very well - We need to ensure we get buy in - AP concerned we ensure we have adequate collaboration - Exciting & inspirational for us in GEO to hear about future developments from the other I18N WGs - Discuss process issues, which goes 2 ways. Core will want to produce material that geo will package & publish on their behalf

-	Global gateway



-	GEO site user scenarios Identify user scenarios for GEO site including different levels, cf Susan's getting started Usability. - Who is using the site? - What info are they interested in? - Scenario = task-based analysis - Observation of users? how?

-	GEO site user survey How do we take this further?

-	Outreach resources Re outreach, identify web developer resources across the web inc in languages other than English, include such a list of resources on the site?? - Make wider discussion about resources we'd like to see

-	Language attributes - guest speaker Consider future use of language attribute, get a strong sense of where it's going, language vs/& locale, etc - Presentation by AP (chair, Core WG) who has done much work in this area

-	I18n approved logo Discuss I18N tick logo, cf CSS, HTML - motivation for I18N developers

-	Web best practice Discuss best practice with web where it's at now vs best practice for the future - should we clearly indicate in our material what's pragmatic now vs - - how we'd like it to be





ACTIONS

RI: Get Tex to re-join group.

DC: circulate Unicode FAQ as soon as possible. - After techniques work. 

RI: Propose solution to Andrea's comment about capitalisation of i18n/l10n

See also GEO work items: http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html



More long term actions: 

SM: Getting started page ((Link:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-geo/2005Jan/0001.html):
develop management & design views & circulate for review & additional material/ideas

RI ACTION to liaise with Ivan Herman about getting translations of the Getting Started material (when completed in English).
Received on Thursday, 3 March 2005 14:54:12 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:39 GMT