RE: Progress on escapes FAQ

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:46:23 +0100
To: "'Bjoern Hoehrmann'" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: "'GEO'" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

Hi Bjoern,

Actually the charmod conformance criterion is aimed at people developing
specs, rather than content developers who are the target of the FAQ, and
aims to ensure that a hex representation is available for use by authors.

See, however: http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#C048

"C048  [I]  [C]  Content SHOULD use the hexadecimal form of character
escapes rather than the decimal form when there are both.

"NOTE: The hexadecimal form is preferred because character encoding
standards (in particular Unicode) usually list character numbers as
hexadecimal, making lookup easier."

Which is close to what I wrote.

contact info:
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/