Progress on escapes FAQ

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:15:00 +0100
To: "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

At the telecon I was asked to provide code examples of ncrs and entities.  We talked about providing separate files, some using escapes and some not.  On thinking that through I decided against it; since these things are phrasal it is easy to show their use in a single line (and too much trouble to set up separate files).  In addition, I decided against using an example of text such as the Czech example, since it would demonstrate bad practise - not usually a good idea.

So I did what you see at
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-escapes.html

I added code examples, but with the explanations (which I think is a better place than we had discussed), and changed the example in the explanation to be nbsp rather than aacute, which is an example of good practise. I also added a note about nbsp and usage in the examples.

I also changed the example in the last paragraph of this section from gacute to euro, which allowed me to shorten it somewhat.  I also fixed up the related links.

At next week's telecon I'd like to secure agreement to send this out immediately for wide review. (See http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html)

Cheers,

contact info:
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/