Re: New FAQ: entities and NCRs

On Monday, July 4, 2005, 7:23:18 PM, Richard wrote:

RI> This FAQ is aimed at content authors such as those on the WSG list, not
RI> techno-geek implementors, so I am thinking to actually go the other way, and
RI> be less specific.

How is that helpful? I don't see that being less clear (indeed,
inaccurate, in the suggested text) helps anyone. If people know enough
to go looking at the source and altering it (rather than accepting
whatever their authoring tool produced) then they are going to be most
helped by using already defined terms that they can look up, rather than
newly defined, vague, and inaccurate terms.

RI> "A character entity. This is a very different animal. Character
RI> entities are defined in the markup language definition.

Not necessarily.

RI>  This means, for example,..."

RI> I only want to make the point at this juncture that they must be defined
RI> somewhere for you to be able to use them.  Note that this glosses over (at
RI> this point) whether they are defined in the internal subset or not, whether
RI> they are definable in RelaxNG or not, etc. Later we will introduce the
RI> dangers of use.

RI> RI

RI> ============
RI> Richard Ishida