Re: New FAQ: entities and NCRs

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 05:11:26 +0200
To: "Felix Sasaki" <fsasaki@w3.org>
Cc: "Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org>, GEO <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

On Monday, July 4, 2005, 5:00:15 AM, Felix wrote:

FS> Thanks for the rewording, that's much better! Just an inline comment
FS> below.

>> FS>  but I would like to express that character entities rely
>> FS>  on the XML DTD mechanism for general entities,
>> FS>  which is e.g. not available in RELAX NG.
>>
>> The DTD mechanism is unaffected by the use of RelaxNG or W3C XML Schema
>> validation.
>>

FS> It is unaffected, but I wanted to make a different point: If people
FS> define their markup language with RelaxNG, they need the DTD
FS> mechanism in addition.

If they want to use entities.

FS>  Not only the external DTD subset, but also
FS> the internal DTD subset for character entity declaration might be
FS> applicable if you use ONLY an RelaxNG processor.

I don't follow. Can you give an example of how one might use a RelaxNG
processor without using an XML parser?

FS> You'll need an XML DTD processor which expands the entity references
FS> before RelaxNG validation.

Parsing XML requires an XML parser, which is required to expand entities
defined in the internal DTD subset. The infoset thus produced may then be
passed to a RelaxNG processor. There is no such thing as an "XML DTD
processor" separate from an XML parser.

Perhaps you are confusing  parsing and DTD validation?

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead