W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > February 2005

Minutes 2005-02-09: GEO telecon

From: Deborah Cawkwell <deborah.cawkwell@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:58:47 -0000
Message-ID: <418B7E44473AC34488C9E730D09FF3CF02C9E863@bbcxue204.national.core.bbc.co.uk>
To: <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

MINUTES: I18N GEO WG telcon, 2005-02-09 at 17:00 UTC/GMT, 10:00 Seattle,
13:00 Boston, 18:00 London, 19:00 Paris, 03:00 Melbourne

Deborah Cawkwell (BBC World Service, scribe)
Richard Ishida (W3C, chair)
Susan Miller (Boeing)
Russ Rolfe (Microsoft)

RR: will be a little late to meeting.

Could a wiki be used for review comments? It was felt that this would
improve the process as well as speeding it up.
- Required paper trail, ability to roll back versions; ACTION DC Check
WIKI version viewing functionality.
- W3C has one wiki, would not set up one specifically for GEO.
- Using W3C wiki would make work more public than currently using GEO
public list.
- Vandalism: ACTION DC to check Wikipedia experience (from presentation
at BBC WS); what happens with W3C wiki?

Yahoo has joined W3C. 
ACTION RI Get Tex to re-join group.

Active work on: 
- Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization: Specifying
the language of content 1.0
- Global gateway
See Actions & work plan (http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html)

Following DC & SM's comments, discussion on Language techniques:
revisions and reorganizations. 
New version: http://www.w3.org/International/geo/html-tech/test
Old version:
Links & section numbers refer to the new version.
 + Restructuring: separation of 
  + concepts & definitions
  + implementation
 + Restructuring:table of contents functionality
  + overview & scope of subject
  + improved navigation to allow the reader to get directly to the
information required
 + New sections:
  + 2 Why specify language?
  + 4 Mechanisms for declaring language in HTML
 + Restructured section 3 Important concepts
  + previously 2 Definitions
  + Subsections:
   + 3.1 Primary language
   + 3.2 Text-processing language
   + 3.3 Relationships with character encoding and directionality
 + Relationship with language issues orthogonal to language of content,
ie, character encoding & text direction, with which developers are
likely to be more familiar
 + Agreement to itemize pros & cons in techniques implementation
sections; 'consider pros & cons' wording plus paragraphs of explanation
felt to be unclear. Commentary vs facts, where it was felt facts should
be made very clear & commentary had a more supporting role.
 + Addition of tooltips over icons (via 'title' icon).
 + Removal of extraneous text, which was felt to make the document
overly wordy.
 + Changes in language register: less jargon, generally plainer text,
which was felt more appropriate to the WG with a Guidelines, Education,
Outreach remit.
 + Use of 'meta' in regards to language information in the HTML head
should be made explicit: meta content-language (language of content) vs
meta content-type (character encoding).
 + 4 Mechanisms for declaring language in HTML
  + Include HTML elements for language change - some overlap with HTML
element itself being used. 
  + State explicitly that with 'lang' attribute which is used with HTML
elements, that only one language can be specified. 
  + The latter is not seen as a flaw in the HTML spec.

No discussion this meeting: global gateway comments; progress on Getting
Started stuff(?)) Review process: agreed that deadlines would be useful.
Also, should be sign-off (email, telecon, F2F) on documents prior to
publication by all members of the GEO WG.

Wiki: ACTION DC Check WIKI version viewing functionality.
Wiki: ACTION DC to check Wikipedia experience (from presentation at BBC
WS). DC ACTION to circulate Unicode FAQ as soon as possible. - After
techniques work. 
RI: Propose solution to Andrea's comment about capitalisation of
i18n/l10n - outstanding 
RI: Global gateway ((Link:
tp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-geo/2004Dec/0016.html ) -
RI to summarize comments (MD, JY, AP) & to circulate to the group. RI
SM: Getting started page ((Link:
tp://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-geo/2005Jan/0001.html ):
develop management & design views & circulate for review & additional
material/ideas - ongoing. 
RI to chase GEO WG participants - particularly invited experts. - DONE 
list of participants to go back on site - when membership sorted - RI
RI ACTION to liaise with Ivan Herman about getting translations of the
Getting Started material (when completed in English). - For future 
RI ACTION - Get Tex to re-join group.
All GEO work items: http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html



This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain
personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically
stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in
reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received. 
Further communication will signify your consent to this.
Received on Wednesday, 16 February 2005 13:00:26 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:28:02 UTC