Re: New Tutorial: Ruby

Hi Richard,

Here are some comments on your Ruby tutorial:

- Very nice tutorial!
- You might want to refer to similar, yet not identical concepts,
which some people might be familiar with: linguistic glossing [1] and
linguistic annotation [2]
- The slide text link [3] does not work.
- Slide 5: "It is also occasionally used to convey information about
meaning." Give an example, e.g. meaning of ideographic characters.
- Slide 5: "Although ruby in Japanese is typically in hiragana" I would
replacy typically with "often", there are still many cases of Katakana,
e.g. in Japanese Manga.
- Slide 6: "It can be used as an annotation device for many different
applications." Give examples, like linguistic (e.g. morphological)
glossing (see above).
- Slide 6: "And in Japanese, ruby is not limited to hiragana script. "
You said that before.
- "There are two aspects to dealing with ruby text: the first is to
provide semantic markup that relates the ruby and its base text;" I
would say "There are two aspects to dealing with ruby text: the first is
to provide additional information to its base text;", because semantic
is closley related to meaning.
- "In this section we look at expressing the structure using markup."
What do you mean by structure? Structure of the Ruby markup? -> "In this
section we look at the structure of Ruby markup"
- General: It would be nice to know what the examples mean, e.g.
"kamishibai - presentation", "Hayashi Kazuyo" (Japanese name, important
topic for Ruby, because of the low degree of conventionalization for
their pronunciation).
- "The Ruby Annotation specification" -> "W3C Recommendation Ruby
Annotation"
- 浮世絵昔話 sounds like a strange combination to me; either 浮世絵 or
昔話, but maybe you know better.
- Section on Ruby style: It would be nice to have one - just one - code
example of markup and CSS.
- "The work being undertaken by the Internationalized Tag Set (ITS)
Working Group <http://www.w3.org/International/its/> at the W3C to
produce a set of tags ..." -> "The work being undertaken by the
Internationalized Tag Set (ITS) Working Group
<http://www.w3.org/International/its/> at the W3C to produce a markup
vocabulary ..."

Best regards, Felix

[1] http://www.eva.mpg.de/lingua/files/morpheme.html