From: w3c-i18n-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-i18n-wg-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of François Yergeau
Sent: 22 September 2004 00:13
To: w3c-i18n-wg@w3.org
Subject: About Skype

I have an action from the Core TF to send some details about Skype, which I've been using recently for W3C teleconferences.  Here goes:

- The main URL is http://www.skype.com/

- You download an application from there, register and can then call any other Skype users for free, using your PC's sound system.  I recommend a headset, of the kind used with voice recognition software.

- From the same site, one can buy SkypeOut credit, which allows the same application to call regular land and mobile phones almost anywhere in the world.  Costs start at 0.017 euros per minute (North America, Western Europe and Australia).

- My (short) experience has been fairly good, sound quality is OK and calls usually get through.  I've been bumped out of a telcon once (after 50 minutes) and been unable to re-join.  Hopefully they were having teething problems and this won't happen again.

--
François