Re: New FAQ: Defining Localization, Internationalization & Globalization

Richard, et al,

OK, I will try.
If it helps, I have a degree in linguistics.

Abbreviations are not written in capital letters in English.  When we
abbreviate the word "international", we write "int'l", and not "INT'L".
  If we shorten a series of names into one word that can be pronounced,
we call it an acronym and write in all caps, such as Zone Improvement
Plan => ZIP.  Every capital letter stands for a separate word (yes,
there are a few cases in English where the acronym became so common that
it is no longer capitalized, like "radar", "scuba", and "laser").
Whether the abbreviation has numbers in it should not affect the written
rules.  Therefore, "i18n", "l10n", and "g11n" should not be capitalized.
  As with any abbreviation, the first letter can be capitalized if it
appears at the beginning of a sentence, in a title, or as part of a
proper name, such as the W3C I18n WG.

But for the purposes of an FAQ, it would be nice to follow the
conventions of English, since the document is in English.

FWIW

--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher,