RE: Language declaration tests

At 05:31 04/10/15, Richard Ishida wrote:

 >Based on work done by Deborah, I have uploaded three new tests related to
 >language declaration, and updated the results page as appropriate.  Please
 >take a look. Some interesting results.
 >
 >The 6 tests start with http://w3.org/International/tests/sec-lang-decl-1

I had a look at this. Is this one test, or more than one test?
"This is one of a set of tests" says 'one test', then "Tests on this page"
says 'more than one'.

I like "conclusions must be drawn with care"; maybe that should be in
<strong>.

I think it's a bad idea to do <html lang="ko"> for a page that is
almost all in English. If that's really necessary for testing
purposes (which I'm not sure it is in this case), then at least
make sure that all the English stuff has lang='en' on the
relevant subelements. [in short, this is called 'eat your own dogfood]

It was unclear to me why only one or two lines were green, rather
than the whole doc, even if the whole doc is declared Korean.
I'm not at all sure that it makes sense to make the tests that
complicated.

The ideograph labeled 'ko' turned out green, as well as the
non-labeled ideograph at the end. Looking at "If there is variation
in the above characters, and language information is picked up for
this feature, the following ideograph should use the Korean font.",
I'm at a loss to understand whether the test was successful or not.
A general reader, not being an expert on font/glyph differences
for ideographs, might say: yes, Korean uses a green font, so the
test is successful. As it turns out, language info is indeed
picked up, but not in the way the test was specifically addressed
to test. This points out that rather than having two tests, only
one test should be enough; if either the color, or the glyph variant,
or both, are different, then the test is successful.

"Each line in the box is marked up as <p lang="xxx" xml:lang="xxx"
 >雪</p> where 'xxx' is shown after the Han character."
Why not just say "Each line in the box is marked up as <p lang="xxx"
xml:lang="xxx">雪 xxx</p>."? Simple and easy.

Regards,     Martin.