Re: New test for review: Bidi misc

At 00:22 04/10/08 +0200, Simon Montagu wrote:

>Richard Ishida wrote:
>>I have put together a short test to see whether rtl directionality is
>>inherited in the window title bar and tooltips.  Please send any comments
>>before I add it formally to the site.
>>http://www.w3.org/International/tests/sec-bidi-misc-1
>>Preliminary results show that my most recent versions of Opera, IE,
>>Firefox, Mozilla and Netscape do not correctly display bidi text in the
>>window title bar.
>
>I don't agree with this part of the test. In my opinion the direction of
>text in the browser title bar should depend on the directionality of the
>user interface, not the content currently displayed.

Any reason why? I could understand that if you said that the allignement
of the text in the title bar should depend on the directionality of
the user interface.

The directionality of the text displayed in a browser
window (or tab) depends on the directionality given by the content
displayed (the dir attributes in the HTML code). Why should that
suddenly be different for the title? If the text were an actual
phrase, rather than just a series of words, that should be even
more obvious.

Some comments for Richard while I'm looking at this:

- Given that the page says "You will need an Arabic font and Arabic
   rendering capabilities to compare the glyphs in these tests.", I think
   it would indeed be a very good idea to have a Hebrew test, too, so
   that people interested in Hebrew can test the browsers they are
   interested in without having to install fonts,...

- Wording nit: "Check the window title bar contains" ->
   "Check that the window title bar contains"

- "The html element contains dir="rtl"." -> "The html element of
   this page...".

- "Mouse over the graphic below": I think there are other ways
   than just 'mousing' to activate a 'tool tip'. Also, I think that
   'tool tip' is a Windows-specific term, and different browsers may
   have different ways to show the alt or title attribute on an image.
   (do we know which one is shown? do we know whether there are
    differences between the two?)

- It seems inconsistent that <title> has its own dir='rtl', but
   the image with the alt/title attributes doesn't.

Regards,   Martin.