RE: AGENDA: I18N GEO TF telcon, 2004-11-03 at 18:00 UTC/GMT, 10am Seattle, 2pm Boston, 18:00 London, 19:00 Paris, 5am Melbourne

Hi Richard

Could you point to the problem situations/questions people have been asking that have led to the FAQ. Re what I was interested in producing earlier, was that the encoding & bytes article?

Re simplicity & different levels of answer, I'd like to emphasise the importance of taking people to the higher or more complete level of understanding, so telling people 'why' as well as 'how to'. (Not that I'm saying we don't do this currently.)

Best

Deborah

 -----Original Message-----
 From: public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org on behalf of Martin Duerst
 Sent: Wed 24/11/2004 13:37
 To: Richard Ishida; 'GEO'
 Subject: RE: AGENDA: I18N GEO TF telcon, 2004-11-03 at 18:00 UTC/GMT, 10am Seattle, 2pm Boston, 18:00 London, 19:00 Paris, 5am Melbourne

 Hello Richard,

 Thanks a lot for your explanations. I think this is a good idea
 for the faq, but I disagree with the title.

 At 21:53 04/11/24, Richard Ishida wrote:

  >All this in REALLY easy to understand terms.  (We should probably indicate
  >in the introduction that this is for beginners, so as not to alienate
  >slightly more technical people who come across this before seeing other
  >stuff on the site.)

 I think you should think about some other people, too, namely all
 the rest of the world for with these are not 'special characters',
 but just characters in daily use. Using a term such as 'special
 characters' in this sense isn't really what I would want to see
 on our site, for that reason.

 One other thing that we should think about is to maybe have some
 division of our material into at least introductory and technical
 stuff, so that it's easier for people to see what level something
 is.

 Regards,   Martin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.