Re: Index improvements

Richard,

It is too wordy for me. The repetitiveness and wordiness makes it difficult to
find what you are looking for, assuming you don't want to be reading and
studying what should be an index page.

I would use an icon for tutorial, article, FAQ, so they do not need to be read
over and over.
I am not convinced they should be intermixed or that all 3 are appropriate to
answer some of these questions. (Tutorial is too broad as a response to
specific questions, faqs are too narrow for general questions.

I would organize differently.
Grabbing the first few topics I resequenced them.

Here is what I grabbed:

How do I choose an encoding for my document?
Tutorial: Character sets & encodings in XHTML, HTML and CSS
How do I specify the encoding of an HTML, XHTML, XML or CSS document?
Tutorial: Character sets & encodings in XHTML, HTML and CSS
Techniques: Specifying a page encoding
Article: Character encodings
Article: Serving XHTML 1.0
Where can I find the charset names?
URI: IANA charset registry
How do I set up my server to serve the right encoding for a page?
Article: The HTTP charset parameter
How do I set character encoding in my web authoring applications?
FAQ: Setting encoding in web authoring applications
Can I encode XML and X/HTML in non-Unicode encodings, if the document character
set is Unicode?
FAQ: Document character set
How much support exists today for HTML written in Unicode?
FAQ: Who uses Unicode?

I would organize as follows and then fill in with the materials :

(Major heading) Character Sets, Character Encodings, Charset
1) What are they?

2) What are their names?

3) Which one should I use?

4) When is Unicode appropriate?

5) How do I specify character encodings:
5a) in documents
5b) in HTTP
5c) in Web authoring tools
5d) in Web Servers

hth

Richard Ishida wrote:

> I spent a day talking with Shawn Henry (team member working on the WAI Education & Outreach activity) a week last Monday.  I shared our stuff with her, and heard from her what her group is working on. (This included some really interesting videos of usability assessments of the W3C and WAI site by members of the public.)
>
> As a result of accessibility comments made by Shawn about our resource index at http://www.w3.org/International/resource-index.html I've been thinking about how to improve it.  I came up with an approach you can see partially implemented at http://www.w3.org/International/resource-index.html#charset
>
> Shawn's comment was that many disabled people would prefer the links to have more meaningful text.  Initially, I was worried that the extra text would make it more difficult to find stuff, but having done a section, I think it's actually easier to see the wood for the trees now in terms of both finding information and assessing whether to follow a link.
>
> Any comments before I propagate it to the rest of the page?
>
> RI
>
> PS: Note that I also improved the visibility of the link to the index on http://www.w3.org/International/

> Richard Ishida
> W3C