RE: Glossary terms - a start

(As outreach and for more completeness) would it be useful to put out a call to the mailing list for terms that are misunderstood / not understood? People could submit the explanation as well as the term if they wanted.

Deborah

 -----Original Message-----
 From: public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org on behalf of Richard Ishida
 Sent: Wed 17/03/2004 20:33
 To: GEO
 Subject: Glossary terms - a start

 I went through the character encoding tutorial [1] and pulled out the following terms we could link to a glossary:

 User agent
 Unicode
 Basic Multilingual Plane (BMP)
 Supplementary characters
 Character set
 Character encoding
 Coded character set
 Code points
 Character escape
 Document character set
 MIME type
 Standards mode
 Quirks mode
 XML declaration
 HTTP header
 Charset
 ASCII
 ANSI
 BOM
 NCR
 Character entity
 Compatability character
 Bidi
 Bidirectional text

 There are some explanations of these terms in the tutorial.  We should also harmonise with other definitions, esp. CharMod and Unicode Standard. We should also point to stuff we have that defines in more detail, eg. Document character set FAQ.

 I'll send out more such lists when I get a chance to go through the lang tutorial and the techniques doc.

 Over to Tex and Andrew for now to take these to the next stage.

 Cheers,
 RI

 [1] http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc.html

 Richard Ishida