  • From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@emi.ac.ma>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:25:45 +0000
  • Subject: Re: FAQ: Why should I use the 'lang' attribute?
  • To: Deborah Cawkwell <deborah.cawkwell@bbc.co.uk>
Deborah Cawkwell wrote:

>Yes can see it now.
>Want to open up the dir/scrollbar thing on the list - what do you think
>is the best way to do it?

If I understand your suggestion, yes. "What is really related to the
"RTLness" of Arabic script and what is not" could be a good discussion
subject. For the best way to do it, I don't have any precise opinion.
Perhaps some emails will liquidate the question very quickly :-) I
dont'know.

About your FAQ, I've thought to mention it tomorrow on IRC, but the FAQ
leave an impression of ambiguity. You consider, rightly, the language
information as a meta-data about language content. But the lang
attribute can added to many container elements as well as to some <mata>
tags.
The last sentence of the answer section states "Meta-data that indicates
content language can be useful for many applications. For example:" and
you give many examples, included one concerning the <meta> tag . This
might help remove the ambiguity.

Regards, Najib

--
Najib TOUNSI (mailto:tounsi@w3.org)