W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > July 2004

Re: a few problems in O-charset-lang.html

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 12:39:07 +0900
Message-Id: <>
To: Jungshik Shin <jshin@i18nl10n.com>, www-international@w3.org, public-i18n-geo@w3.org

At 11:48 04/07/30 +0900, Jungshik Shin wrote:

>A recent email on Windows-31J led me to take a look at the
>There are a few problems with the document.
>It lists a 7-year-old statistics (probably taken with a not-so-good sample 
>even then) of the frequency of character encodings used on the web. The 
>web and the internet have changed a lot since 1997 and I'm afraid the 
>statistics gives a  misleading impression to some people that Windows-1252 
>can cover the vast majority of web pages. It'd be nice to replace that 
>stat. with a recent one. If it's not easy to find a new statistics, I 
>think either that part has to be removed or a prominent disclaimer should 
>be added.

I have added a warning at the top of the page.

Regards,    Martin.

>Another problem is that it uses 'kr' (the country code for Republic of 
>Korea/South Korea) in place of 'ko' (the language code for Korean).
>I also found that Chinese (both zh-TW and zh-CN) is not listed (it's a 
>partial list, but still not listing Chinese seems a bit strange.)
Received on Friday, 30 July 2004 01:30:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:28:01 UTC