W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > July 2004

Minutes: GEO telecon 040707

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 16:29:19 +0100
To: "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Message-Id: <20040709152919.AFB464F0C4@homer.w3.org>

AGENDA: I18N GEO TF telcon, 2004-07-07 at 14:00 UTC/GMT, 7am Seattle, 10am Boston, 15:00 London, 16:00 Paris, midnight Melbourne

 

Attendees: Richard Ishida (Chair), Deborah Cawkwell (scribe), Andrew Cunningham 


[Many thanks to Deborah for scribing !]


Info Share
============
RI: Participation in SWAD-Europe and CEN/ISS MMI-DC Workshop on Metadata for a multilingual world, 15 and 16 July 2004, Copenhagen, Denmark - http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/events/200407-cph/

RI: I18N GEO can now post news of tutorials, FAQs, etc on W3C home page. Rather than publish FAQs individually, we'll probably publish every month - initially the ones from July.

AC: Ethnic/minority language community web publishing project. May provide with CPS, but also interested is disseminating and sharing web development skills in this community. RI suggested that W3C I18N GEO could provide value resources. AC to provide further information about the project.

DC: Graf report on BBC online activities & outsourcing, which would require clarity about BBC standards. BBC Editor, Guidelines & Standards, Jonathan Hassell has commented about this online.

 

 
Meetings
========
Proposal to change time to 17:00 UTC/GMT, 10am Seattle, 12noon Boston, 18:00 London, 19:00 Paris

RI: General trend to change to 2/3 hours later. Alternative mechanisms (Andrew/Martin) for those who cannot make this time.

DC: To minute via IRC from now on.

 

 

Review of GEO Work Items:
=========================
http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html
 

 

Thoughts on FAQ format
======================
RI: Reversed putting background info later in more recent FAQs. Made sense to put the background information first especially when you print it. Perhaps better to always better to start with the background?

DC: Naybe a specific section identifying the audience? 

RI: Not normally needed. Should the backgroup come at front or back.

DC: The context is useful at the front, so the background, as context information, is more useful at front as default.

AC: Agreed 

 

Discussion
==========
Using non-ASCII characters in URLs 

Need to start looking at techniques again & moving to completion 

New FAQ about meta tag, which probably needs to be integrating into techniques document 

One note sent out: use of hreflang. Initially seemed interesting, but recent discussions with Masayasu Ishikawa may have indicated not so useful (Link: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-geo/2004Jun/0047.html)http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-geo/2004Jun/0047.html

 

New Translation instructions & process document
===============================================
http://www.w3.org/International/2004/06/translation.html

http://www.w3.org/International/2004/06/translation-process.html

>> final comments before publication

RI: Has discussed with MI (HTML WG) who had other discussions re translation with W3C. The process for the translation of W3C specifications and for FAQs is different: for a spec need to notify relevant parties & for I18N GEO stuff need to obtain permission from RI. UTF-8 should be used. Also, the translation should be hosted on W3C site, for language negociation & for persistency. Translation should contact RI with any changes in markup, links, etc, can be added by RI if required.

DC: What about using translating process to add to the glossary in different languages?  

RI: Some other W3C people working on this; not something we could take on at the moment. 

RI: Also, copyright issues. Copyright statement should be left intact & in English. In translated pages, specific links to particular language versions can be added; this would override content negociation.

AC: There should be a distinction between translations & originals. 

DC: Maybe original could be in a language other than English.

RI: But the review process is in English. 

RI: Suggestion to move 'translation' link from bottom to top and label 'authoritative version'.

RI: Please feed back on translation document by email as soon as possible as RI needs to feedback for a French translation.

RI: Also, please look at article on multi-lingual web addresses; not much (useful) material out there on this topic: either it's too technical or simplistiic (IDN/URI).

Article: An Introduction to Multilingual Web Addresses

http://www.w3.org/International/articles/idn-and-iri/

>> initial comments on direction (not editorial yet)

Not addressed at this meeting.

 

 

ACTIONS

 

See GEO work items: http://www.w3.org/International/2003/plan.html



============
Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info:
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/ 

W3C Internationalization:
http://www.w3.org/International/ 
 
Received on Friday, 9 July 2004 11:29:20 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 20:28:01 UTC