Re: Proposed translation policy update

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 01:04:09 +0900 (JST)
To: public-i18n-geo@w3.org

"Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> I would like us to add romanised versions of names in parens after non-ASCII
> ones.  There are two reasons for this: [a] I can remember more easily who
> did a Japanese, Arabic, etc. translation, [b] people can see how the name is
> written for correspondence in an English environment.  I added this to the
> page above.

That's OK, but for Japanese names, using the order like
"石川 雅康 (Masayasu Ishikawa)" could be a bit confusing - especially
when someone sees it after "リチャード 石田 (Richard Ishida)".
If a reader is not familiar with Japanese names, s?he might think
"石川" corresponds to "Masayasu", which is actually wrong.

When I list my name in Kanji and latin alphabet, I tend to write
"石川 雅康 (ISHIKAWA Masayasu)" or "石川 雅康 (Masayasu ISHIKAWA)",
or when appropriate use ruby, e.g.

    http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#editor

In any case, in romanized version it should be made clear which is
family name and which is given name.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org