Re: Proposed translation policy update

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:05:14 +0900 (JST)
To: ishida@w3.org
Cc: public-i18n-geo@w3.org

Hi,

"Richard Ishida" <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> How's this: http://www.w3.org/International/2004/06/translation.html
>
> Notice also the note pointing to the original page, which could be turned
> into more of a decription of the process rather than instructions to
> translators.
>
> I've tried to address most of your other specific points in the above
> reworking. I've asked for the minimum, and then left it to GEO (myself) to
> bolt things together.

Thanks a lot, now it looks a lot simpler for translators.  As more
translations become available, the latter page could include templates
in various languages so that translators can just copy and paste them.

I updated http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset.ja accordingly.

> >   Shall I refer to "O-charset" without suffixes, or shall I refer
> >   to the English version like "O-charset.en" as the "original URL"?
>
> It will have to be O-charset.en - otherwise someone reading the page in the
> language their browser is set to would just end up in the same place again.

OK.  By the way, please make it clear that "O-charset.en" in item 4 of
the instructions is just an example - otherwise people might wonder
whether they have to include that text intact.

Also, the Intellectual Rights FAQ requires to "[p]rominently disclose"
disclaimer text - I tried to add some style to make it a bit prominent,
but not sure whether it's a good way.  In any case, you should supply
a standard style for disclaimer text so that translations have consistent
style for disclaimer text.

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org