RE: "Translatable text in CSS"

Although I read the reasons for having text in the CSS file, I am having a hard time coming up with an example that fits the reasons.  It might be good to give an example of when to use text in the CSS file.

Russ

-----Original Message-----
From: public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org [mailto:public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of RICHARD,FRANCOIS (HP-France,ex1)
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 3:17 AM
To: 'public-i18n-geo@w3.org'
Subject: "Translatable text in CSS"

Hi,

Here is a draft of the FAQ.
Rephrasing is going to be a necessity; Thanks for helping!

Question:
"Is it a good idea to put translatable text in Cascading Style sheet (CSS)?"

Background:
CSS was designed to maintain the rendering information of a document and to separate it from the document content.

Answer:
Under the condition that the translatable text has the following
characteristics:
 - Linguistic independence: It is a full phrase, independent from the main document content. In particular no concatenation or embedding is used.
 - Meaningfulness
 - Repetitiveness

then storing translatable text in a CSS:
 - Improves consistency.
 - Enables reuse.
 - makes maintenance efficient.

For translatable text in CSS , the Translation and Localisation process needs to:
 - Make sure the T&L tools used do support CSS
 - Translate/localise first the CSS (looking for 'content' property used in ':before' and ':after' pseudo-elements)

Useful links:
 "XML Internationalization and Localization FAQ" at http://www.opentag.com/xmli18nfaq.htm

 "Requirements for Localizable DTD Design" at
http://people.w3.org/rishida/localizable-dtd
 "Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 CSS2 Specification" at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/

 "An XSLT style sheet and an XML dictionary approach to internationalization" at http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/wa-xslt/