Re: i18n fonts

From: Jungshik Shin <jshin@i18nl10n.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:47:42 +0900 (KST)
To: Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>
Cc: public-i18n-geo@w3.org, W3c I18n Group <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

Tex Texin wrote:

> Yes, css21 doesn't have the examples of i18n fonts anymore.
>
> 1) Where is Richard's i18n font list posted?
>
> 2) Where is the Mozilla list?

They're scattered in several platform-dependent pref. files:

Windows :
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/modules/libpref/src/win/winpref.js
Mac OS:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/modules/libpref/src/mac/macprefs.js
Unix:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/modules/libpref/src/unix/unix.js
AIX :
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/modules/libpref/src/unix/aix.js
BeOS:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/modules/libpref/beos/beos.js
OS2:
http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/modules/libpref/os2/os2pref.js

(there is the pref. file for QNX as well, but I don't think there's
anything interesting there).

Note that Unix/AIX list have XLFD(X11 Logical Font Description) entries
instead of just family names. winpref.js has both English names and CJK
names for CJK fonts.  As I wrote before, I have yet to see non-CJK
truetype fonts with non-English name fields filled in. Besides, Win32
APIs don't return them even if they're present as far as I can tell.
(hmm, I can experiment ....)

> 3) Jungshik- Do you want to take a stab at merging the lists and
> posting it
> here so we can discuss?

  I'll do once I get Richard's list. I'll also see what gnome/kde use
for the default fonts for various scripts/languages.

> I think having a list of names by font type (serif, sans-serif, etc.)
> and by language/script, with english and native names correctly spelled
> would  be  useful to web authors as well as w3c spec writers.
>
> If we have the list, then it makes sense to ask css and other wg to
> reference i18n fonts in examples. Given the number of errors in the
> css2 list, it doesn't make sense to ask them to reinstall the
> references in css21 now (in my opinion).
> Once we have some reviewed recommendations, I think we should ask
> them.

  This sounds like a reasonable course of actions.

   Jungshik