Re: [w3 i18n geo] Q&A: Setting Encoding in Web Authoring Application s

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Arko, Phil wrote:

You list a couple of text editors, Apple TextEdit and Windows Notepad.
You appear to have picked them because they're kind of platform default
text editors, but in that case I guees you have to add a couple of
more. For Windows, wordpad (which is better than notepad) has to be
listed as well.  Vim (http://www.vim.org) may as well have to be listed
because it works on a number of platforms including Unix/Linux, Mac OS,
Windows and has an excellent i18n support.

 * Vim

   In the command mode, set the encoding with the following command:

      :set encoding=utf-8

    where utf-8 can be replaced by any character encoding supported.

  There are other text editors that support a number of character
encodings (e.g. Yudit, BabelPad, Emacs ), but I'm not sure whether we
have to list them all....

> Microsoft Notepad (Windows)
>
> If you create or edit documents using Notepad, you will need to specify the
> character encoding and language when you write the markup code.

  The above sentence is true of any generic text editor so that you
may factor it out and put it under 'text editors' before you give
editor-specific information.

  * Text Edtiros

    The above sentence and other things common to all text editors

    - Windows Notepad
    - MacOS TextEdit
    - Vim
    - .....

> When you
> save the document, select "File > Save as" and select the proper encoding
> from the Encoding dropdown list at the bottom. Be aware that there is a

  Pls, note that this is not possible in Notepad running under
MS-DOS-based Windows (Windows 9x/ME). What you described is only
applicable to Notepad on Win 2k/XP. On Win9x/ME, Notepad always uses
the so-called 'ANSI' code page (in Western European Win9x/ME, it's
Windows-1251. For Japanese, it's Windows-932, etc)

> known issue with this, which can be fixed with a Pearl script. [??? CAN
> ANYONE PROVIDE MORE INFO ABOUT THIS ???]

  Did you mean to say something about UTF-8 BOM?

  BTW, another entry missing conspicuoulsy is Mozilla(Netscape) Composer
available on Windows, Mac OS, and Unix/Linux. The character encoding
can be set with 'View | Character Coding' menu. If it's desired that
the html document is exported in a character encoding different from
the one used during the editing session, one can choose a different
character encoding by using File | Save As Charset instead of File |
Save.

  Jungshik