Re: New FAQ: Removing UTF-8 BOM

At 09:56 03/11/05 -0500, Tex Texin wrote:

>Hi Jungshik,
>
>1) yes, utf-16 is pairs of bytes, utf-32 is quadruplets.
>2) yes, the characters will display differently, depending on encoding and
>font
>of the editor.
>Maybe we should use a graphic to show the mistreatment(s).

Yes, I think a screenshot or two would be good.

>3) For the faq we shouldn't use scripts that look "something like..." or have
>too many version dependencies. So we can't use the sed script.
>Also, thanks for pointing out the problem with the perl script in your other
>mail.
>If it is not safe and reliable we shouldn't put it in the faq at all.

I agree that version dependencies are a bad idea, but we should
try our best to make sure we have a script. A lot of people copy/paste
and use scripts, but they won't write a script by themselves.

On more comment (for the original FAQ): I think the background section
should be shorter, or be moved to after the answer. People want to
see the answer to their question quickly.

Regards,   Martin.