Re: New version of: Setting encoding in web authoring applications

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Richard Ishida wrote:

> I have just this second received a new version of Phil's FAQ and
> uploaded it to the server.
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-setting-encoding-in-applica
> tions.html

  I thought I asked 'Mozilla/Netscape composer' to be added when I gave
my feedback. I wonder why Mozilla was dropped in the released version.
(apparently there's a PR issue with Mozilla)
Please, use this line (there's a typo - Linix instead of Linux - as
well.) instead.

Mozilla/Netscape Composer (Windows, Mac OS, Unix/Linux, OS/2, VMS, BeOS)

-----------
Netscape Composer (Windows, Mac, Unix/Linix)

   Character  encoding  for  a document can be set here: View > Character
   Coding  menu. A file can be saved using a different character encoding
   here: File > Save As Charset.
-----------

In Notepad/Wordpad section, it might as well be noted that Notepad
on Win2k offers only four choices, 'ANSI' (the codepage corresponding
to the default system locale), 'Unicode' (meaning UTF-16LE on ix86),
'Unicode Big endian', and UTF-8. I added several codepages to be supported
in Intl/Regional setting control panel, but Notepad's offering didn't
change.

In Vim section, platforms supported are missing. It's ported to
many OS' (http://www.vim.org/download.php) : Windows, Mac OS,
Unix/Linux, Amiga, MS-DOS, OS/2 etc. BTW, there's a brand-new HTML
filetype plugin that can automate charset/lang setting in the future
(http://www.infynity.spodzone.com/vim/HTML/). It doesn't do that yet
(so it's not for FAQ), but I wrote to the author of the plugin that the
feature would be very handy.

  Jungshik