RE: Bidi space Q&A, [was RE: Agenda I18N Core TF telcon, 2003-06-10 at 17:00 UTC, 10am PST, 1pm EST, 18:00UK]

HI Tex,

Thanks for your comments. See below...

============
Richard Ishida
W3C

tel: +44 1753 480 292
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/

Yes it's a graphic, otherwise you wouldn't be guarranteed to see the
effect.  Lack of scalability is definitely a problem with putting text
in graphics.  I don't think we can yet expect our audience to have an
SVG plug-in, unfortunately, otherwise I would certainly have preferred
to do it that way.  On my 1280x1024 screen the image already looks a
little larger than text would be, and I chose a clean font too.  I think
this is the smallest it will look for most people.  Of course, on your
1600x1200 laptop screen I can understand that it is getting a little
small.

> 2) Along the lines Martin suggested, I would change:
> Would produce a result that looks as follows, where the arrow
> indicates the location of the missing space:
>
> to:
> Produces the following result. The arrow indicates the
> location of the missing space.

OK

> 3) In the technical detail section, the blue space migrates
> from behind to the front of the "B". I found myself wondering
> if the B represented a RTL or LTR character to convince
> myself that the space would shift as shown. I think it makes
> a difference but I havent tried it yet.

Yes, that's exactly why I spent ages adding the colours (and changing it
from two to four colours) ;-).  I thought that would be pretty obvious
from reading the text.  Maybe not then.

> 4) The next question I think, is if you have unicode
> plain-text with bidi controls, and you want to convert to
> html, what does this information imply about the algorithm to
> do that? It seems to indicate where you might remove controls
> and insert markup, and it might not be one for one, to
> accomodate the space collapse issue.

Interesting question.