Re: New Q&A: What is an international web site?

Tex Texin wrote:

> The term "multilingual site" can refer to:
>
> - A site where pages use more than one language. (Because the readers are
> expected to be multilingual, or the content is by nature multilingual. For
> example, a european author mixing English, French and German in a weblog or a
> page talking about the Rosetta Stone.)
>
> - A corporate regional site with content that is translated/adapted from
> another one
>
> - One of multiple sites with coordinated content in different languages
>
> It is important to distinguish between these kinds of sites.
> The design, development and deployment issues and considerations, and the
> solutions, can be different for each case.

I'd add at least another two to the list:

- a site  in more than one language intended for a local culturally and
linguistically diverse (CALD) community.

- a site in (one) national language and containing resources in multiple
languages intended for mediated access by a local culturally and
linguistically diverse (CALD) community.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Multilingual Technical Officer

andrewc@vicnet.net.au