Re: Interesting example of date formatting

From: Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:58:43 -0400
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
CC: public-i18n-geo@w3.org

For this case, it indicates to me:

1) there is nothing wrong with dates being in a format separate from the
document content.

2) using the browser accept-language first preference for date setting is
My date preference is 8601. No language uses that. (Note that japanese date
shows jpn chars as separators.)
Even if some language did, I shouldn't have to make that language my first
preference to achieve a date format by distorting my content preference.

i.e. there should be a separate option for date format. whether this means a
date tag or another type of content negotiation is tbd.

good ex. Martin!

Martin Duerst wrote:
> By chance, I just bumped into an example of internationalized
> date formatting today. This may help us for our discussions.
> Please look at http://www.theinquirer.net/?page=4&w=1
> with your browser set to different language preferences.
> You can get Arabic dates, French dates, Japanese dates,
> all in the middle of English text.
> I'd like to know what you think about this example, and
> how we can make sure in our questions and in the techniques
> document that people get the right advice.
> Regards,    Martin.

Making e-Business Work Around the World