version dates

From: Tex Texin <tex@i18nguy.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 01:25:00 -0400
To: GEO <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

With respect to version dates on the questions-
I know we have talked about this before, but I want to raise it again.

Right now we use the cvs date to represent the last modification.

On systems where I have used file modification dates it became very hard to
realistically determine when a page has been truly reviewed by someone vs. the
date when the last change was made.

Occasionally we will want to make global changes to pages, styles, links, etc.
and doing so obscures the date where a meaningful change has occured or the
page has been meaningfully reviewed.

My suggestion: we would be better served by have a note at the bottom of each
page indicating the last date someone checked the page. It is more useful for
us, and useful for readers than the cvs date.

tex

Making e-Business Work Around the World