Re: future questions of the week

Hello John,

Thanks, these are great ideas.

At 08:25 03/05/29 -0400, John Yunker wrote:

>Reading the notes from the meeting, I found the Q&As of the week to be VERY
>useful, particularly the Arabic question.

Yes, but we have to do a bit more work on that one, to get
at least a bit above the 'this is a fix, but we have no idea
why it works' level.

>Although I'm not going to be much
>use in contributing to the finer points of Unicode, I was wondering if we
>could sprinkle in some less-technical questions. If you all are up for it,
>here are some thoughts I had:
>
>Q: What corporate Web sites currently use Unicode?
>There aren't many, but I think it might be useful to highlight a few to show
>how Unicode is taking hold. I can put a list together of between five to 10
>sites.

There are two problems here:
- What do we do if the site switches back to some legacy encoding
   (this is a question we often have with other things such as validation
    or accessability, but for Unicode, it's probably less of a problem)
- W3C is in various ways required to be neutral. We'll have to check
   with our comm team whether this is okay or not.

>Q: We just added a link to our Korean Web site (in Korean) on our English
>home page, but the text isn't displaying correctly? What's wrong?
>- I fielded a question just like this recently from someone who wasn't aware
>of the one 'charset' per Web page limitation and was using 8859-1. I could
>include a before and after screen shot to illustrate the problem.

Very good idea. Main point may be how to word the question general
enough to catch all the audience, but specific enough to sound
interesting.

>Q: What's the problem with this global gateway? (a screen shot of a "select
>language" pick list in which none of the language names are in their native
>languages - a common mistake.
>- I could then include an "after" screen shot to show how to improve the
>pick list.

Very good idea, too. By the way, what is your opinion on
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation, in particular the
languages column?

Regards,    Martin.