Re: when to use language negotiation- author needed

At 15:40 03/12/19 -0500, Tex Texin wrote:

>John,
>
>Good comments.
>
>1) On deep linking from search engines and elsewhere, I would think that
>most of the time the search would result in a page that was in one of
>the languages of the user. I know it is not always true, but I wouldn't
>think using lang. negotiation would be an improvement most of the time
>for a deep link.
>
>But that's a good use case for language selection being available on
>every page and for it not to return to the top of the tree, but a
>reasonable counterpart of the page the language switch is being made
>from.

I agree. If the material is really parallel, e.g. stuff such as manuals,
it can be helpful to send somebody a link, and they get the page in
their language (if available).

>2) I don't know the answer to the question on htaccess for changing
>language directories rather than pages.
>I had the same question.

It must be possible with Apache, because the Apache documentation
project uses it. Look e.g. at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/en/content-negotiation.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ko/content-negotiation.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ja/content-negotiation.html
and http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/content-negotiation.html.
But I haven't figured it out yet, but it seems to involve more
than just simple configuration directives.

Regards,   Martin.