From: public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org [mailto:public-i18n-geo-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Tex Texin
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 3:07 PM
To: Arko, Phil
Cc: 'Tex Texin'; 'public-i18n-geo@w3.org'; nelocsig@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Q&A - Which languages are written right-to-left (RTL)?

Phil, I added the countries.
Yes we might need to change the title or break it up. It now answers (at
least) two questions-
I added a point (suggested to me by someone else) about the political and cultural overtones of choosing a script, and we might want to separate out "Which script(s) to use" from the "Which languages are rtl?" and perhaps have a "What's my direction?" ;-) question that the table replies to.

Updates are at: http://www.i18nguy.com/temp/rtl.html

"Arko, Phil" wrote:

> This will be a very useful resource with the addition of all the
> popular left-to-right languages and their formats. I wonder if the
> right-to-left specific title could be changed to more accurately describe this resource?
> Or should this be a separate resource area to which this Q&A can link?
>
> Notably missing are Austria, Belgium, and Switzerland, all of which
> are important locales for websites so I would think they would meet
> the criteria for "commonly requested languages." The latter two
> countries have multiple official languages, which I think is always an important point to stress.
>
> Phil

Making e-Business Work Around the World