Re: MINUTES: I18n GEO teleconference 030423

Dear GEO group,

I was in Japan last week, sorry. Some comments below:

At 07:23 03/04/30 +0100, Richard Ishida wrote:

>MINUTES
>
>W3C I18n GEO Phone Conference

>Q&A Review
>=========================

Q&A is 'question and answer', but it is dangerously close to
QA, quality assurance. Can we call this FAQ? (frequently
asked questions)?

>We reviewed the suggested Q&A items in
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-geo/2003Apr/0020.html

>We agreed that there might be multiple answers for some questions.
>
>We should probably briefly describe where the reader is going before
>they click on a link to an answer.  For example, we may say something
>like: "for a general view see xxx, for apache servers see more detailed
>information yyy"
>
>We should distinguish between links to stuff generated by the W3C and
>other stuff, but not on the grounds of 'authoritativeness' - let the
>user decide what is authoritative.  For example, even if we write stuff
>ourselves about apache servers, the only really authority here is the
>Apache people.  Icons would probably be a good way to make the
>distinction.

Icons, the title attribute,... are only secondary things, and they
have to be learned/recognized/discovered by users. I think the best
thing to do is to somehow express the relationship in the text.
Another way to do things is to point to our page, and have that
page point to others with more material.

>It was suggested that we could open a new window for non W3C written
>stuff.

Please don't do that. It confuses users, and in particular creates
accessibility problems.

>We reviewed each of the proposed questions in the mailnote and agreed
>that they were all good candidates.

There are many 'where can I find' questions. Before putting them up,
it would be good to have some question helping the reader to understand
what these things might be good for. This in particular applies to
ISO language and country codes, which are only used indirectly.

Regards,    Martin.