Ideas about new Q&A pages

Hi Phil,

Here are some of my ideas on how to go about this - open to comment from
others!

The prime technologies used for posting pages on the site include W3C
technologies.  We should probably not try to use server or client based
scripting or databases for these pages.   We could use XSLT.  I think we
should probably just go for hand-crafted pages for now - but build in a
lot of regularity so we can easily make changes using XSL if needed.

We should create XHTML in UTF-8 encoding with lang and xml:lang
attributes in html and meta charset declarations. I think we should try
to use the XHTML for structural information only (eg. XHTML Strict) -
all presentation should be applied via an external stylesheet.

I think we need to link to the Question of the Week plus the list of
questions so far from both International and geo pages.  Until it grows
a bit we could maybe add a section for current and past questions to
http://www.w3.org/International/resources.html .  (Lets call this the
'list page' for now, ie. in this email.)

I think the list page should point to small pages we have written and /
or to pages others have written, and that we should make it clear which
is which.  One way to do that might be to use different graphics after
the end of the question for the different types of target.  I think we
may allow multiple links after a single question if there are more than
one good sources of information. It might be good to describe the
destination briefly in the title and alt attributes, so you could see it
if you mouse over.

I am providing some proposed questions here. With links.  We should
discuss this approach at the next meeting.

1. How do I specify the character encoding of a page (the charset)?
	links to: http://www.webstandards.org/learn/askw3c/dec2002.html
(external link)

2. Why does my text collapse spaces between Latin and Arabic/Hebrew
text?
	links to: attached file

3. How do I specify the language of content in X/HTML and XML?
	links to: http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTML-tags

4. Where can I find the ISO language codes?
	links to: http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/langcodes.html

5. Where can I find the list of ISO country codes?
	links to:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists
/list-en1.html

6. Where can I find the IANA charset registry?
	links to: http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

7. How do I set up my server to serve pages in the right character
encoding?
	links to: http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset
	also links to: http://www.i18nguy.com/markup/serving.html#tip01

8. How do I set the encoding of a CSS stylesheet?
	links to: http://www.i18nguy.com/markup/serving.html#tip02

I'm beginning to wonder whether an initial categorization might be along
the lines of:
	How do I ...
	Where can I find ...
	Why does ....

With suitably shortened question text.

I'm providing some raw grist for a new 'target page' at
http://www.w3.org/International/geo/upload/2003/ri/qa-bidi-space/qa-bidi
-space.html (the styling is onlyto minimally show the different parts -
don't take it as a suggestion!).  It has the potential for a few types
of information: descriptive text that include examples; test cases;
additional links (none in this case) (I really like the way additional
links are handled at
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/dev/Mideast.mspx - see the
right hand side, though we might skip the scripting).

Maybe we need a title for these new pages.  What about something like
'The I18N WG replies...' ?

Finally (at last!) you should try to ensure that the design conforms to
WAI accessibility requirements.  You might find this rough and ready
outline page useful here (my styling stinks!), where I tried to condense
the directives from the WCAG 1.0 techniques.
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/checklists/wai-html-impl-checklist.html
Just click on the topic you want to understand...

Well, anyway, those are some initial ideas I had.

RI

Richard Ishida
W3C

tel: +44 1753 480 292