W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-geo@w3.org > April 2003

MINUTES: I18n GEO teleconference 030416

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:57:24 +0100
To: <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>
Message-ID: <000001c304d8$82ecf440$7801000a@w3c40upc3ma3j2>

MINUTES 

W3C I18n GEO Phone Conference
16 April 2003

Present: Richard (chair, scribe), Russ, Phil, Martin, Suzanne
Regrets: Steve, Tex, Andrew, Lloyd, Peter


New Actions
============

ACTION: RI, prepare a first Q&A pair ready for review on 28 april. 

ACTION: PA, Do some design work with RI's help: link from International
(& GEO) page, template for list of questions, template for answers that
we write ourselves. 

ACTION: RR, prepare a Q&A pair ready for review on 5 May. 

ACTION: MD, prepare a first Q&A pair ready for review on 12 May



Prior Action Items
==============

ACTION: RI, set up Phil and Suzanne as Invited Experts

ACTION: AC to create a list of possibilities for 'non-displayable'
Characters

ACTION: Lloyd, send a list of deprecated tags in HTML by next meeting 

ACTION: Russ, follow-up wrt possible new member from Trados
Trados will take a little more time to come back to us

Action: Richard, look at ways of making the document print with a
smaller font, while avoiding any WAI issues.

All: send in pointers to existing guidelines 


Dependencies
===========
None.


Review of recent activity
===================

AGREED: The Agreement TR of Framework Document
[http://www.w3.org/International/geo/framework/] is ready for release to
the TR page [http://www.w3.org/TR/].  RI has already prepared a
publication ready version, and it should hopefully be published tomorrow
by webreq.
	


Education & Outreach Discussion
=========================

The guidelines work, although important and continuing, is progressing
slowly and it was felt we would like to find a way to start providing
helpful, nicely packaged advice to people in the near term and without
going through the full rigour of the guidelines approach.

We DECIDED to implement a way of providing answers to users' questions
from the http://www.w3.org/International/ site.  These could be any type
of question relating to web technology (not just HTML&CSS). The answer
could be short or long, and could point to existing material or to new
material developed especially.

We will start by establishing a clearly visible link on the
http://www.w3.org/International/ page to a question of the week, and to
a (growing) list of previously published questions.  Task force members
should take turns to develop questions. 

We decided not to put out a general call for questions on
www-international or elsewhere, nor put a form on the site,  because
Russ's experience with Dr. International would suggest that we'd get
swamped.  Instead we can identify some questions for ourselves, look at
past postings on www-international (especially where answers appear),
use or point to material we already have in the guidelines or the hints
& tips section of the web pages, and post here answers to addhoc
enquiries we receive and have to answer anyway.

We feel that this will complement our work on guidelines, which will
proceed as before.  It will provide material for the guidelines, answers
may become resources pointed to by the guidelines, and it may help us
develop early drafts of guidelines material for discussion.  The Q&A
material is focussed on answering a user's specific questions, and the
topics will develop in an evolutionary way with minimal attempts to
guide and structure the contents.  On the other hand, the guidelines
will be very structured from the outset, and attempt to help the user
who says "What are all the things I need to know at this point to
achieve X".  Initially there will be a single list of questions &
answers, but as the number of questions grows some grouping (and
regrouping) into topics areas will be done.

The proposed work process is that a member of the group develop a Q&A
pair each week, taking turns.  The material must be published to the
group on a Monday for review.  The contribution will be discussed at the
Wednesday meeting, and published for the following Monday.


ACTION: RI, prepare a first Q&A pair ready for review on 28 april. 

ACTION: PA, Do some design work with RI's help: link from International
(& GEO) page, template for list of questions, template for answers that
we write ourselves. 

ACTION: RR, prepare a Q&A pair ready for review on 5 May. 

ACTION: MD, prepare a first Q&A pair ready for review on 12 May

. 


Next meeting:
==========
Same time, same bridge, next week.

============
Richard Ishida
W3C

tel: +44 1753 480 292
http://www.w3.org/International/
http://www.w3.org/People/Ishida/
Received on Thursday, 17 April 2003 07:57:31 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:37 GMT