Re: Initial Letter Styling in Ethiopic Documents

Good Morning,

Some examples of Initial Letter styles used in other scripts and languages
to help illustrate the issue:

  https://w3c.github.io/type-samples/?feature=initial-letter

I believe these styles are all examples of "Drop Caps". While I'm sure some
authors have tried it in Amharic and related languages, I haven't observed
it is a regular practice.

If anyone can identify the Drop Caps (or another) initial letter style as
important for an Ethiopic writing practice, please speak up and direct us
to examples if you can. A related question would be:  is web browser and
word processor support for drop caps in Latin script sufficient for
Ethiopic?  If not, what should be adjusted?

thanks,

-Daniel