Re: Encoding Standard

On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 13:12 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> Adding Ian, since he might have a thing to say about this.
>
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:
> > On 10/14/2013 12:03 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >> E.g. I know some in the WHATWG do not condone the forking done by the
> >> W3C, as we see it leading to confusion with implementers and
> >> reviewers, but our license still permits it.
> >
> > In the past I've requested meetings with the WHATWG so we can improve our
> > communications.  I would very much appreciate opportunities to unite the web
> > community and reduce confusion with implementers and reviewers.  The offer
> > is still open.
>
> We can have meetings, but the problems seems pretty clear.
> http://xhr.spec.whatwg.org/ was last updated today.
> http://www.w3.org/TR/XMLHttpRequest/ is what you might find on Google
> searching for XMLHttpRequest and is dated 6 December 2012.
>
> To me it is pretty clear what implementers and reviewers should look
> at and when prompted I'll give them that advice. However, my reach is
> rather limited.
>
> There are other problems. The W3C draft does not actually acknowledge
> who has done the authoring and claims three other people have done it,
> while all that can be said is that they have copy-and-pasted from the
> https://github.com/whatwg/xhr repository. That is not acceptable
> behavior.

I'll try to fix the XHR attribution issue before the next publication. I
might need to come up with a set of recommendations on how editors to do
proper attribution. I don't know how Ian feels nowadays regarding the
attribution of the HTML5 specification. If that works for him, we can
simply reproduce it and it might work for you.

Philippe