Re: Encoding Standard

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM, "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> Are you saying that when W3C didn't allow forking at all, you were okay with
> the I18N WG publishing a parallel version of your encoding spec, but now
> that the W3C (in some cases) allows forking, you are no longer okay?

Now that the W3C considers forking a "SHOULD NOT" I question the need
for forking the Encoding Standard.

> In my understanding, as long as W3C didn't allow forking, it's (implicit but
> quite obvious) position was that forking was something that must not happen.
> One simple way to express that is "prohibitively high costs, not allowed".
>
> Now the W3C has changed that position slightly, with the actual license
> change and an explanation in the FAQ, reading essentially "high costs, not
> recommended."
>
> In summary, your position to me reads like "When W3C was totally against
> forking, I was okay with it, but now that W3C may tolerate it in some cases,
> I'm not longer okay with it."
>
> It just doesn't make sense to me. But maybe I'm missing something, and you
> can explain.

I think it being explicit now is what made me change my mind.

> P.S.: Please note that although the W3C hasn't allowed forking in the past,
> there is at least one case where it allowed parallel publication: The
> Japanese translation of the XML Rec was published as the Japanese Industrial
> Standard JIS X 4159:2005.

It did so too for the HTML Standard, but Jeff does not allow it for
any of the documents I wrote.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/