W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > January to March 2012

[minutes] i18n telecon, 2012-02-29

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:30:26 +0000
Message-ID: <4F4E6EC2.2010208@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html



Text version follows:


  Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

29 Feb 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2012Feb/0016.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Norbert, Mati, Koji, John, Gwyneth, Felix

    Regrets
           David

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Minutes/Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Clearing issues in "prep"
          5. [9]bidi and attribute direction
          6. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

Minutes/Agenda

Action Items

    <scribe> ACTION: dclarke: run the time change poll [recorded in
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-102 - Run the time change poll [on David
    Clarke - due 2012-03-07].

    acttion 100: wrote to sam, but not hixie yet

    <r12a> [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close ACTION-99

    <trackbot> ACTION-99 Invite mike to next meeting to discuss ruby
    spec development closed

    close ACTION-98

    <trackbot> ACTION-98 Update ruby bug with summary of current
    situation and asking for no re-escalation closed

Info Share

    <Norbert>
    [14]http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=globalization:specificati
    on_drafts

      [14] 
http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=globalization:specification_drafts

    Norbert: ECMAScript Internationalization
    ... published new spec (above link)
    ... and new version of my guide:

    <Norbert>
    [15]http://norbertlindenberg.com/2012/02/ecmascript-internationaliza
    tion-api/index.html

      [15] 
http://norbertlindenberg.com/2012/02/ecmascript-internationalization-api/index.html

    Norbert: : some progress, but needed to have a final version as of,
    well, yesterday
    ... not enough review
    ... started to discuss new schedule
    ... send comments to es-discuss@

    Norbert; put "internationalization" or "internationalization API" in
    email subject so it's visible

    scribe: or "INTL"

Clearing issues in "prep"

    HTML5 [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/10 (Issues
    136 - 141) Additional Predefined Counter Styles for CSS
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/16 CSS3 Generated
    and Replaced Content Module
    [18]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/14 HTML: The
    Markup Language
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/12

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/10
      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/16
      [18] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/14
      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/12

    richard: these are things we ought to bless and or non-bless these
    ... and then forward, as needed

    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/136

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/136

    "The algorithm to convert a string to a number, given a string
    input, is as follows: If applying the rules for parsing floating
    point number values to input results in an error, then return an
    error; otherwise, return the resulting number." Does this refer to
    conversion of the text the user inputs into the field, ie. if the
    user types in 12.345,67 will the rules for parsing floating point
    number values be applied to that to determine whether or not that is

    [21]http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/number-state.html#number-state

      [21] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/number-state.html#number-state

    [22]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/138

      [22] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/138

    I imagine this will get shot down, but I've been thinking I should
    suggest it for some time. It's a pain in the neck to have to write
    both lang and xml:lang attributes on an element in a polyglot
    document, and I've seen plenty of pages in the wild from people who
    should know better where either the lang attribute is missing in
    XHTML 1.x but the xml:lang attribute is there, as well as vice
    versa. Can we not just make xml:lang a synonym of the lang
    attribute?

    richard: rare to use both

    addison: inconvenient to have to use both

    [23]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/141

      [23] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/141

    it's a typo

    <scribe> chair: any opposed to these being official

    (various and sundry approve)

    <r12a> [24]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/146

      [24] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/146

    [25]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/141

      [25] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/141

    "For each group with an odd index (as given in the second step) that
    did not have its digits removed in the third step, append ፻ U+137B."
    In the example 78010092, in ethiopic, is ፸፰፻፩፼፻፺፪ U+1378 U+1370
    U+137B U+1369 U+137C U+137B U+137A U+136A, the group that contains
    00 seems to have been replaced by ፻. This seems to contradict the
    text "did not have its digits removed in the third step".

    <andrewc> [26]http://www.geez.org/Numerals/

      [26] http://www.geez.org/Numerals/

    <r12a> [27]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/140

      [27] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/140

    <q> element nesting

    this is to *reset* the nesting level

    addison: this is to start the conversation with them

    <r12a> [28]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/75

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/75

    addison: I will supply a summary by next week of the remainder

bidi and attribute direction

    matial: thread about direction and how to specify on attrbitues
    ... like @alt
    ... some attributes include text that is in language and needs a
    direction
    ... the attribute's direction is the same as that of the element
    itself
    ... but sometimes this is inappropriate

    <p lang="en">This is something with an Arabic image <img alt="CIBARA
    SI SIHT"></p>

    rtl, ltr, auto values for 'attribdir' attribute

    scribe: to override the direction of the text in the attributes
    ... if specified as auto, would be computed
    ... discussion about what the best way to handle it is
    ... agreed on a proposal
    ... and Aharon filed a bug on HTML5

    <r12a> [29]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16160

      [29] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=16160

    Norbert: similar discussion of @lang

    richard: @alt and @title would be the most common case

    <foo title="something" alt="else" attribdir="auto" />

    <foo title="english" alt="english" lang="de">deutsch</foo>

    <span title="english" lang="en"><p lang="xxx"></p></span>

    <r12a> <span title="German"><a lang="de" xml:lang="de"
    href="/International/questions/qa-css-charset.de.php?changelang=de">
    Deutsch</a></span>

    richard: should put into our tracker

    <scribe> chair: objections to endorsing this bug?

    richard: "reviewed by working group and no objections"

    addison: makes sense

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: update html5 bug 16160 and note that we
    reviewed and have no objections [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-103 - Update html5 bug 16160 and note that
    we reviewed and have no objections [on Addison Phillips - due
    2012-03-07].

    <najib-ma> :-)

AOB?

    <r12a>
    [31]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

      [31] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

    raising IRI issues internal to the group

    use the tracker

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: raise IRI product in tracker [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-104 - Raise IRI product in tracker [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2012-03-07].

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: update html5 bug 16160 and note that we
    reviewed and have no objections [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: David: run the time change poll [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: dclarke: run the time change poll [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: raise IRI product in tracker [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2012/02/29-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    [End of minutes]




-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Wednesday, 29 February 2012 18:30:51 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 29 February 2012 18:30:52 GMT