Re: Rework of Bidi inline article

Sorry that it took me a while to answer. However, most of the time was
spent on formulating my suggestions below.

Re https://plus.google.com/**103190014606131822578/posts/**MgiwWfu3Rrt<https://plus.google.com/103190014606131822578/posts/MgiwWfu3Rrt>,
you are correct that people leave a gap and write the number from the
biggest digit to the smallest, since that is the order in which they have
the number in their head. You are also correct about the order in which
math is written in Hebrew and (supposed to be) written in Arabic. I do not
know Arabic and have never tried writing math right-to-left, so I don't
have a clue about the hand movements there. I would expect that they are
indeed a challenge.

Re the article, I think that the sections looking at solutions for the five
problematic cases ("Neutral ...", "Weak ...", "Nesting ...", "Adjacent
...", and "Handling unknown") taken together are quite long and tiring. I
believe that this stems from several issues:

   1. The sections looks like an arbitrary collection of cases, where for
   each you try a bunch of techniques for fixing, and for some one technique
   works best, and for some, another. The user is left with the impression
   that in order to figure out how to deal with the case giving him
   trouble, he will have to figure out which of these cases his most resembles
   - a difficult mission for most users. And what if his case resembles more
   than one of these cases? And what if the user is faced with plopping an
   arbitrary, unpredictable piece of text into his page? I believe that what
   is necessary is a clear statement that it is the occurrence of
*opposite-direction
   phrases *that causes all problems, with a concise statement of how to
   handle an opposite-direction phrase (whatever it may be) to make sure that
   no problems arise. If this were so, the various cases would be just
   examples of applying the general approach - and could be safely skipped by
   a reader that understood the general approach. (There are, of course, two
   general approaches: one for HTML4, and one for HTML5.)
   2. Applying each of the HTML4 mark-up, HTML5 mark-up, and LRM/RLM
   techniques to each of the cases is needlessly repetitive. Let's say that a
   given technique works for one set of cases, and does not work for another.
   Within each set, it works (or does not work) exactly the same way for all
   cases, so mentioning it again and again for each case becomes repetitive.
   3. The case definitions are needlessly fuzzy. For example, "weak
   directional characters that appear at the wrong side of a directional run"
   is a conflation of two very different cases: one where an
   opposite-direction phrase starts with a number (that is part of it), and
   one where an opposite-direction phrase is followed by a number (that is not
   part of it). In HTML4, the two have completely different solutions.
   4. There may be simply too many cases / examples.

So, here is my attempt at an alternative way of presenting the material,
starting from the beginning of "Where the algorithm needs help". I am
reusing your copy in many places, but watch out where I may have made
changes.

The bidi algorithm will handle text perfectly well in many situations, and
often no special markup or other device is needed other than to set the
overall direction for the document. However, the more a document mixes text
of both directions, the higher the chances that some of it will be
displayed not as intended. When this happens, extra mark-up or other
devices have to be added to the document to untangle the bidirectional text.

We will examine specific examples of what can go wrong, why it goes wrong,
and what fixes it in the sections below. Nevertheless, it is important to
realize that basically, the problems all occur when a text (e.g. a
document) in one direction has to include a phrase in the opposite
direction. Common examples of such "phrases" include quotations, formatted
numbers (e.g. phone numbers and MAC addresses), addresses, and various
names, such as brand names, acronyms, part numbers, site names, articles
titles, place names, etc. Whenever an opposite-direction phrase occurs,
things can go wrong. That is, something will go wrong if the text includes,
without any special "wrapping", an opposite-direction phrase that:

   - begins or ends with neutral characters
   - begins with a number
   - is followed by a number
   - is followed by another, logically separate opposite-direction phrase
   - contains one or more nested phrases whose direction is opposite to *it*

Although this list seems daunting, there is no need to determine which, if
any, of these cases applies to a particular phrase. There are canonical
ways of "wrapping" opposite-direction phrases that will prevent problems in
all of the cases above, and do no harm when none of them apply. We now
describe how such wrapping is done in the current generation of browsers,
and in HTML5.

Wrapping opposite-direction phrases in HTML4

The dir attribute

In principle, the right thing to do for *every* opposite-direction phrase
is to set its base direction by using the dir attribute on an element
tightly wrapping the phrase. (By "tightly wrapping", we mean that the
element contains the entire opposite-direction phrase, and nothing but the
opposite-direction phrase.) When none of the cases above apply, this will
not have any visible effect. But when one of them does apply, the dir
attribute is the right solution.

We can see dir in action in the following example, which tries (in the LTR
context of this page) to say "an introduction to C++" in Arabic, which
should look like "C++ مدخل إلى":

... C++: مدخل إلى C++

The first attempt fails with the last word of the phrase, "C++", appearing
in the wrong place. This is because our RTL phrase is of opposite direction
to the (LTR) context, and contains a nested phrase of the original LTR
direction ("C++") inside it. The bidi algorithm, of course, has no way of
knowing that the "C++" is part of the RTL phrase, not of the LTR context,
and thus displays it as the latter: to the right of the Arabic words
instead of to their left. To fix this, we need to wrap the whole phrase in
a <span dir=rtl>.

That is our second attempt, and it still fails with the "C++" coming out as
"++C" instead. This happens because the "C++" is an LTR phrase ending in
neutral characters being displayed in the context of our RTL phrase. The
bidi algorithm has no way of knowing that the plus signs are part of the
LTR phrase, not of the RTL context, and thus displays them as part of the
context: to the left of the "C" instead of to its right.

Our third attempt finally succeeds. It wraps the overall RTL phrase in a
dir="ltr">.

LRM/RLM

In addition to the dir attribute, the visual order in which text is
displayed can also be modified by using two invisible Unicode control
characters: LRM (LEFT-TO-RIGHT-MARK, U+200E, &lrm; as a named entity), and
RLM (RIGHT-TO-LEFT-MARK, U+200F, &rlm;). Each has the strong type indicated
by its name, but is invisible, like an invisible A and an invisible א.

One use of LRM and RLM is to *extend* a directional run through neutral or
weak characters at the start or end of an opposite-direction phrase, by
putting a mark of the same direction as the phrase on the other side of the
neutral or weak characters. For example, in our Arabic "Introduction to
C++" example above, instead of wrapping the "C++" in a <span dir="ltr">, we
could add an &lrm; after the second plus:

Being strongly LTR, the LRM extended the LTR run through the neutral pluses.

Used this way, however, LRM and RLM are a bit like gotos in programming
languages: a quick hack that, unlike the dir attribute, says nothing about
the structure of the text. And they simply cannot be used to deal with an
opposite-direction phrase that happens to contain a nested phrase in the
original direction, like our complete "Introduction to C++" example above.
That may seem like an esoteric case, but it is surprisingly common when
displaying RTL data in an LTR page, because the use of LTR words (like
"C++") is not uncommon in RTL text. So, if you don't want to analyze
whether LRM and RLM can replace the use of the dir attribute in
*your*case, just use the dir attribute.

Nevertheless, it turns out that LRM and RLM do have an essential function
dealing with opposite-direction phrases in HTML4: *separating *an
opposite-direction phrase from a number or from a separate
opposite-direction phrase that happens to follow it, by putting between
them a mark of the same direction as the *context*. When used this way, LRM
and RLM do not replace the use of the dir attribute, but augment it.

<example for number, e.g. the restaurant example>
<example for two separate phrases, e.g. your use case 6>

Putting it all together in HTML4

To summarize, in HTML4, to make sure that an opposite-direction phrase is
displayed correctly, up to two steps are necessary:

   1. Tightly wrap the opposite-direction phrase in an element that uses
   the dir attribute to set the direction of the phrase. This is not always
   necessary, but never does any harm.

   2. If the opposite-direction phrase is followed (possibly after some
   intervening neutral characters) by a number or a logically separate
   opposite-direction phrase, separate the two with a directional mark
   matching the direction of the context. If you do not want to check whether
   this is actually the case, you can add a directional mark matching the
   context's direction after every opposite-direction phrase.

Wrapping opposite-direction phrases in HTML5

note! This section describes features that are being introduced by HTML5.
At the time of writing, these features are not yet widely supported in
browsers, but the expectation is that they will be supported soon. In the
meantime, you should use these with extreme caution.

<bdi>

HTML5 introduces a new element, <bdi>, expressly for the purpose of
wrapping opposite-direction phrases. It is just like a <span>,
but directionally *isolates* its content from the surrounding text; bdi
stands for "bi-directional isolate". The effect of the isolation is that
you do not need to use LRM and RLM to separate an opposite-direction phrase
wrapped in <bdi> from a number or a logically separate opposite-direction
phrase that happens to follow it. Since it is actually quite rare *not* to
want to isolate embedded phrases from its surroundings, <bdi> (when the
browser supports it) should be used instead of a <span> for bidi-wrapping,
while the use of LRMs and RLMs can be completely avoided.

Please note that <bdi> also comes with the dir attribute set to the new
"auto" value by default (see below).

dir="auto"

HTML5 also addresses another need: text dropped into a page, say from a
database, when you don't know its base direction. Before HTML5, you could
only set the dir attribute to "ltr" or "rtl", and had to somehow determine
which of them was appropriate yourself. HTML5 provides a new value for the
dir attribute: "auto". The "auto" value tells the browser to look at the
first strongly typed character in the element. If it's a right-to-left
typed character such as a Hebrew or Arabic letter, the element will get a
direction of "rtl". If it's, say, a Latin character, the direction will be
"ltr".

There are corner cases where this may not give the desired outcome, but it
should usually produce the desired result.

Note that the browser ignores any neutral or weak characters at the
beginning of the text when looking for the first strong character. It also
ignores anything inside a bdi element or an element with a dir tag of its
own, including auto.

Furthermore, dir=auto on any element also directionally isolates its
element from its surroundings as if it were a <bdi>. Thus, if you already
have an element like <a> or <cite> wrapping a phrase of unknown direction,
all your bidi wrapping needs are accomplished by adding a dir="auto" on the
existing element.

Not to be outdone, the bdi element behaves as if it has dir=auto by default
(i.e. unless an explicit dir="ltr" or dir="rtl" is specified).

The choice of whether to attach dir="auto" on an existing element or to
wrap the phrase in a <bdi> depends on whether you already have an element
tightly wrapping the potentially opposite-direction phrase, and whether you
happen to know the phrase's direction (or can guess at it better than the
browser's dir="auto" logic).

dir="auto" on <textarea> and <pre>

When used on the <textarea> and <pre> elements, dir="auto" does its
direction estimation for each paragraph of text in the element separately.
If one paragraph starts with an RTL character, and another with an LTR
character, the first will be displayed RTL, and the second in LTR. This
follows the Unicode standard for plain text, in the elements usually used
to enter and display plain text content. When displaying plain text it in a
different element, e.g. a <div> with the "white-space" style set to "pre"
or "pre-wrap", the same effect can be achieved by setting its
"unicode-bidi" style to "plaintext". [I am not sure if the last sentence is
appropriate in an article that mostly ignores CSS]

Putting it all together for HTML5

To summarize, in HTML5, to make sure that a phrase that may have the
opposite direction is displayed correctly, do the following:

   1. If you know the phrase's direction (or have a better way of
   determining it than the method used by dir=auto), wrap the phrase in <bdi
   dir="ltr"> or <bdi dir="rtl">, as appropriate. Do this even if the phrase
   has the same direction as the context, just in case it happens to end in
   strongly typed characters of the opposite direction, and happens to be
   followed by a number or a separate opposite-direction phrase.

   2. Otherwise, if the phrase is already tightly wrapped by an element,
   add dir="auto" to the element.

   3. Otherwise, wrap the phrase in <bdi>. Without an explicit dir value,
   dir="auto" is implied.

What would follow is an "Additional examples" section, for whatever cases
you think are most illustrative. Each would be entitled by a simple name
describing the example, e.g. "The MAC address", not by complicated
typology. Each would give the recommended solution in HTML4 and HTML5. If
you feel it is necessary, point out the examples that can be fixed by
LRM/RLM alone, when discussing the HTML4 solution. Do not do that for
HTML5, and I am not sure it is worth doing at all.

Aharon