W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > October to December 2011

[minutes] i18n telecon 2011-10-26

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:43:04 +0100
Message-ID: <4EA846A8.8030706@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-i18n-minutes.html





         Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

26 Oct 2011

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2011Oct/0016.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison Phillips, Richard, Mati, Felix, Koji, Gwyneth

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]When is this meeting at?
          5. [9]What I saw at ICU35?
          6. [10]Translate attribute
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    <r12a> [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    Prep charmod-norm for publication and coordinate with richard

    Request evidence that browser developers want a list of styles in
    preference to a normative reference to CLDR for <q> tag
    implementation

    close ACTION-77

    <trackbot> ACTION-77 Post links to template and stylesheet for
    writing articles closed

    close ACTION-78

    <trackbot> ACTION-78 Ping mati about his comments on segmentation
    and then submit revised comments to ULI-TC closed

    richard: contacted someone about arrangements for TPAC

    no overhead projector, but will have a room

    with four chairs and power

Info Share

    richard: presentation about script src

    <r12a> [14]http://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?&id=

      [14] http://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?&id=

    given at IUC35

    scribe: can submit info about scripts
    ... neat reference, more populated now

    <r12a> How to generate a list of Unicode characters with names
    and/or codepoints

    richard: if you need to generate a list of unicode characters

    <r12a> [15]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=702

      [15] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=702

    richard: can see and paste list of characters and format in various
    ways

    <r12a> Managing CSS style sheets for LTR and RTL variants of a page

    <r12a> [16]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=671

      [16] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=671

When is this meeting at?

    [17]http://www.doodle.com/mxwrdwfu3f8bsc79

      [17] http://www.doodle.com/mxwrdwfu3f8bsc79

    proposal: keep the time the same?

    will send one more ping before scheduling

    <r12a> ok by me

What I saw at ICU35?

    richard: thought conference was good
    ... lots of people
    ... talks were good
    ... but the downside was that couldn't see them all
    ... suggested that they repeat the ones that people want to see

    Addison outlines discussions surrounding IRIs, especially bidi.

Translate attribute

    [18]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2011Oct/001
    5.html

      [18] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2011Oct/0015.html

    <fsasaki> [19]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12417#c6

      [19] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12417#c6

    <fsasaki> "Status: Rejected Change Description: no spec change
    Rationale: there's already a solution, a better solution might be to
    use a new language subtag, and it's not clear a solution is actually
    needed."

    <fsasaki>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12417#c38

      [20] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=12417#c38

    <fsasaki> <span translate=no>

    <scribe> ACTION: fsasaki: draft a blog post about HTML5 need for
    translate attribute, including why a language attribute can't do it
    [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-79 - Draft a blog post about HTML5 need
    for translate attribute, including why a language attribute can't do
    it [on Felix Sasaki - due 2011-11-02].

AOB?

    no call next week.

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: fsasaki: draft a blog post about HTML5 need for
    translate attribute, including why a language attribute can't do it
    [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/26-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
-- 
Richard Ishida
Internationalization Activity Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)

http://www.w3.org/International/
http://rishida.net/
Received on Wednesday, 26 October 2011 17:43:30 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:23:07 UTC