W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > October to December 2011

[minutes] i18n telecon 2011-10-05

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 09:10:44 +0100
Message-ID: <4E8D6284.60602@w3.org>
To: "public-i18n-core@w3.org" <public-i18n-core@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html


  Internationalization Core Working Group Teleconference

05 Oct 2011

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2011Oct/0000.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Richard, Addison_Phillips, matial, David, Gwyneth, kojiishi

    Regrets
           Aharon

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Action Items
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]what time is this meeting at?
          4. [8]Richard's Interlude
          5. [9]TPAC agenda planning
          6. [10]Normalization
          7. [11]HTML5 and other reviews
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

Action Items

    [14]http://www.inter-locale.com/whitepaper/charmod-norm-draft.html

      [14] http://www.inter-locale.com/whitepaper/charmod-norm-draft.html

    close ACTION-46

    <trackbot> ACTION-46 Dump charmod-norm and add disclaimer paragraph,
    dates, etc. so that we can publish an interim working draft closed

    close ACTION-53

    <trackbot> ACTION-53 Create working draft of TAG finding document
    closed

    close ACTION-71

    <trackbot> ACTION-71 Publish articles on language tagging in HTML
    closed

Info Share

    koji: text/glyph orientation, unicode has proposal on that
    ... queried about hangul on public list

    <kojiishi> [15]http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr50/

      [15] http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr50/

    koji: but new UTR will be interesting
    ... please watch css mailing list for discussion of text-orientation

    gwyneth: applies only to CJ(K) ?

    addison: TAUS keynote

    <r12a>
    [16]http://www.multilingualweb.eu/en/documents/madrid-workshop/madri
    d-workshop-report

      [16] 
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/en/documents/madrid-workshop/madrid-workshop-report

    <r12a>
    [17]http://www.multilingualweb.eu/en/documents/pisa-workshop/pisa-wo
    rkshop-report

      [17] 
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/en/documents/pisa-workshop/pisa-workshop-report

    richard: EC project called "LT-Web" looks to start in january
    ... and they are going to call it the "MLW-LT WG"
    ... spin-off from current MultilingualWeb project
    ... address specific things in ongoing projectr
    ... but main emphasis of WG will be ITS, standards related to
    metadata for localization workflow
    ... so making you aware
    ... under our I18N Activity

what time is this meeting at?

    David: will organize

    <scribe> ACTION: David: poll WG for post-DST/Summer change time for
    call [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-73 - Poll WG for post-DST/Summer change
    time for call [on David Clarke - due 2011-10-12].

Richard's Interlude

    richard: home page for i18n has changed
    ... shouldn't notice
    ... now it is a wordpress blog
    ... maybe wordpress will appeal to you more if you were thinking of
    creating blog posts yourself?

TPAC agenda planning

    [19]http://www.w3.org/2011/11/TPAC/

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2011/11/TPAC/

    <David> I almost certainly won't make it to TPAC

    addison: summary of what's going on, observer, etc.

    richard: do we need a room?

    koji: will attend, but in CSS

Normalization

    [20]http://www.inter-locale.com/whitepaper/charmod-norm-draft.html

      [20] http://www.inter-locale.com/whitepaper/charmod-norm-draft.html

    This is an updated W3C Working Draft of this document. The purpose
    of publishing a new Working Draft at this time is to inform users of
    the Working Group's intention to significantly change the
    recommendations regarding normalization. The intention is to replace
    with with a document based on the Internationalization Core Working
    Group's consensus position at some time in the very near future.

    richard: bold with more emphasis
    ... document isn't valid, needs doctype
    ... need validationj
    ... graphics missing

    addison: pubrules validatoin?

    <r12a> html validation

    <r12a> css validation

    <r12a> checklinks

    <r12a> pubrules

    ff webdev addon for checklinks

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: prep charmod-norm for publication and
    coordinate with richard [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-74 - Prep charmod-norm for publication and
    coordinate with richard [on Addison Phillips - due 2011-10-12].

    <scribe> chair: should we publish the new WD of charmod-norm?

    addison: yes

    <David> yes

    <matial> no pb

    <r12a> richard: yes, after running tests and sorting status

    koji: yes

    gwyneth: okay

    richard: change para about publishing as REC

    discussion with TAG at TPAC about this to indicate clear direction;
    goal is rapid replacement of this with something useful

HTML5 and other reviews

    addison: should we escalate <rb> back to tracker?

    [22]http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10830

      [22] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10830

    <scribe> chair: escalate?

    addison: yes

    koji: agree with addison

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: escalate HTML5 bug 10830 to tracker
    [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-75 - Escalate HTML5 bug 10830 to tracker
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2011-10-12].

    <q> tag: Ian wants block of styles to include in spec

    richard: not, for example, asking for hypehantion dictionaries for
    all languages, so why should this be different?

    addison: hard to change once in document, then you have disparate
    references in different places... :-(

    richard: ask for evidence that browser developers want a list (in
    preference to using a list in CLDR)

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: request evidence that browser developers
    want a list of styles in preference to a normative reference to CLDR
    for <q> tag implementation [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-76 - Request evidence that browser
    developers want a list of styles in preference to a normative
    reference to CLDR for <q> tag implementation [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2011-10-12].

AOB?

    richard: 2nd edition of JLReq soon to be published for review

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: escalate HTML5 bug 10830 to tracker [recorded
    in [25]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: prep charmod-norm for publication and
    coordinate with richard [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: request evidence that browser developers want
    a list of styles in preference to a normative reference to CLDR for
    <q> tag implementation [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: David: poll WG for post-DST/Summer change time for
    call [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2011/10/05-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 6 October 2011 08:11:13 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:23:07 UTC