Re: I18n and Linked Data - an important (but fixable) omission?

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 04:35:58PM -0400, Jeff Young wrote:
> > > Maybe it could be called "Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs)",
> > define
> > > URIs, and refer also to IRIs.
> >
> > It's unfortunately somewhat hidden, so you may not be aware of, but in
> > terms of technology, in particular RDF, what it calls "URIs" are actually
> > IRIs. Please have a look at
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Graph-URIref.
>
> I think there is a problem with this interpretation. This document uses the
> term "RDF URI" as an umbrella for URI [with reference to obsolete RFC 2396]
> along with an anticipated IRI specification. The current RFCs [RFC 3986 and
> RFC 3987] don't seem to oblige this umbrella use of "URI" outside an RDF
> context.

When Martin wrote "Linked Data uses URIs. By definition, this includes IRIs", I
took him to mean that URIs, by definition, include IRIs -- very simple, very
clear -- and suggested my rewrite accordingly [1].  Is it the case that IRIs
are _not_ a subset of URIs; but that Linked Data, inasmuch it uses RDF, for
which URIs are considered to include IRIs, by definition includes IRIs?

Could this be handled by replacing [1]:

    Note that by definition, URIs include Internationalized Resource
    Identifiers (IRIs) -- Web addresses that support Unicode.

with something like:

    For the purposes of Linked Data, URIs include Internationalized Resource
    Identifiers (IRIs) -- Web addresses that support Unicode.

??

I'd like to please have consensus on the exact wording for this important
point.

Tom

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Scope&oldid=6372

--