Re: I18n and Linked Data - an important (but fixable) omission?

2011/9/10 Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>

> It is quite long, indeed, and would thus become a focal point of that scope
> section. IRI are worth mentioning, but they are *way* less important for a
> *general* library agenda than Linked Data or Open Data.
> And as Martin mentioned, IRIs is already taken care of in the RDF spec...

Well, "taken care" means "taken care in a technical sense". Martin wrote:

[
It's unfortunately somewhat hidden, so you may not be aware of, but in terms
of technology, in particular RDF, what it calls "URIs" are actually IRIs.
Please have a look at http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-**
concepts/#section-Graph-URIref<http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-Graph-URIref>
**.

So (very roughly paraphrased), to write something like "Linked Data uses
URIs (ASCII only), but you might also think about supporting IRIs", would be
wrong. It would be better to write something along the lines ""Linked Data
uses URIs. By definition, this includes IRIs (see Section 6.4 of RDF
Concepts)."
]

The output of the library linked data group will not be a technical, formal
specification. It plays an important *educational role* about libraries and
linked open data. As such, I think the point of the statement Martin made
""Linked Data uses URIs. By definition, this includes IRIs (see Section 6.4
of RDF Concepts)."
is very important. There is still a lot of confusion about the relation
between URI and IRI, as this thread has shown, too.

Felix

--
Prof. Dr. Felix Sasaki
Senior Researcher, Language Technology Lab

Register for the W3C MultilingualWeb Workshop!
Limerick, 21-22 September 2011
http://multilingualweb.eu/**register <http://multilingualweb.eu/register>