RE: I18n and Linked Data - an important (but fixable) omission?

Jodi,

How about something like this. The first couple sentences are taken from
the RFC 3986 and RFC 3987 abstracts almost verbatim and may need to be
softened.

A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of characters
[in a standardized syntax] that identifies an abstract or physical
resource. [RFC 3986]. An Internationalized Resource Identifier (IRI)
[RFC 3987] compliments URIs by including characters from the Universal
Character Set (Unicode/ISO 10646). While this report follows common
Linked Data practice of using the term "URI", readers should note the
increasing prominence of IRIs as non-Latin script resources and
participants are being joined in the Linked Data environment.

Jeff